Organizations dealing with financially troubled companies and those facing financial difficulties themselves require an experienced legal partner with a broad range of business advisory, litigation and crisis management skills.
Lawyers in Dickinson Wright’s bankruptcy, restructuring and creditors’ rights practice have extensive experience in U.S., Canadian and international insolvency matters. Using a team-based approach, we help our clients effectively address the wide array of challenges that arise when dealing with companies in financial distress, including protecting our clients’ interests, enforcing our clients’ rights and remedies and restructuring troubled businesses.
Our areas of expertise include:
- Advising on and handling workouts, out-of-court debt restructurings and liquidations with special emphasis and expertise in automotive-industry matters, manufacturing, real estate and leasing transactions and construction-related insolvencies.
- Representing secured and unsecured creditors, debtors, creditors' committees, trustees, and purchasers of assets in Chapter 11, Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy proceedings and proceedings under the Canadian Bankruptcy Act and the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act.
- Representing lenders, underwriters, trustees, emerging financial managers, municipalities, townships and other government units in restructurings, workouts, state court insolvency proceedings and Chapter 9 filings under the United States Bankruptcy Code.
- Prosecuting nondischargeability actions, and prosecuting and defending fraudulent transfer, preference and other avoidance litigation.
- Counseling clients whose suppliers face operational or liquidity issues, with special expertise in the automotive industry.
- Enforcing our clients' rights and remedies under the Uniform Commercial Code and the Personal Property Security Act, both in court and out-of-court, including collection actions, foreclosures, claim and delivery and replevin actions, self-help repossessions and disposition or realization of collateral.
- Enforcing our clients' rights and remedies relating to real estate collateral including obtaining the appointment of a receiver, foreclosure (both judicial and non-judicial) and deeds-in-law of foreclosure.