Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Tax decisions affect nearly every industry, presenting challenges and risks to individuals, privately-held businesses and public companies alike. Whether you own an established business or nonprofit organization, work for a government agency, or handle domestic and cross-border transactions, Dickinson Wright’s Taxation practice offers innovative and comprehensive services to assist you in navigating the complicated universe of tax laws.
As a full-service law firm with offices across the U.S. and in Canada, we work seamlessly cross-border to assist clients with U.S. federal, state, and local tax law matters, as well as Canadian federal, provincial, and local tax law matters.
State and Local Tax
• Partnership formation, capitalization, acquisitions, dispositions, and other transactional matters
• Tax-free corporate reorganizations, entity recapitalizations, and business restructurings
• Tax consequences of buying or selling a business entity or its assets
• Tax planning for distributions, redemptions, and owner buyouts
• Tax matters associated with fund formation of private equity funds.
• Tax matters associated with the acquisition and disposition of portfolio investments by private equity funds
• Federal tax aspects of real estate financing and development
• Tax-advantaged financing structures, including tax-exempt bond financing, New Market Tax Credits, federal historic rehabilitation credits, and low-income housing credits
• Application of U.S. bilateral tax treaties
• Customs and excise taxes
• Canadian and U.S. inbound and outbound investments, and other cross-border transactions
• Joint venture structures involving U.S. and Canadian entities
• Formation of tax-exempt organizations
• Application for recognition of federal tax-exempt status
• Federal tax law compliance issues
• Private foundation operations
• Federal tax planning involving joint ventures among exempt-organizations
• Unrelated Business Income Tax compliance counseling
• Representing clients in connection with audit examinations and other tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Revenue Canada Agency, state, provincial, and local tax authorities
• Real property assessment, valuation and classification disputes, and litigation