Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Tax decisions affect nearly every industry, presenting challenges and risks to individuals, privately-held businesses and public companies alike. Whether you own an established business or nonprofit organization, work for a government agency, or handle domestic and cross-border transactions, Dickinson Wright’s Taxation practice offers innovative and comprehensive services to assist you in navigating the complicated universe of tax laws.
As a full-service law firm with offices across the U.S. and in Canada, we work seamlessly cross-border to assist clients with U.S. federal, state, and local tax law matters, as well as Candian federal, provincial, and local tax law matters.
• Partnership formation, capitalization, acquisitions, dispositions, and other transactional matters
• Tax-free corporate reorganizations, entity recapitalizations, and business restructurings
• Tax consequences of buying or selling a business entity or its assets
• Tax planning for distributions, redemptions, and owner buyouts
• Tax matters associated with fund formation of private equity funds.
• Tax matters associated with the acquisition and disposition of portfolio investments by private equity funds
• Federal tax aspects of real estate financing and development
• Tax-advantaged financing structures, including tax-exempt bond financing, New Market Tax Credits, federal historic rehabilitation credits, and low-income housing credits
• Application of U.S. bilateral tax treaties
• Customs and excise taxes
• Canadian and U.S. inbound and outbound investments, and other cross-border transactions
• Joint venture structures involving U.S. and Canadian entities
• Formation of tax-exempt organizations
• Application for recognition of federal tax-exempt status
• Federal tax law compliance issues
• Private foundation operations
• Federal tax planning involving joint ventures among exempt-organizations
• Unrelated Business Income Tax compliance counseling
• Representing clients in connection with audit examinations and other tax controversy matters before the Internal Revenue Service, Revenue Canada Agency, state, provincial, and local tax authorities
• Real property assessment, valuation and classification disputes, and litigation
–Tax counsel to companies in various industry sectors, including the technology, real estate, charter school management, manufacturing, distribution, retail, financial, insurance, legal, healthcare, and other industries.
–Counsel to closely-held and public companies in connection with federal tax matters, including tax-free corporate reorganization, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures.
–Served as tax counsel to issuers of billions of dollars of tax-exempt bonds, including governmental bonds, private activity bonds, qualified 501(c)(3) bonds, and exempt facility bonds.
–Counseled developers, nonprofit, for-profit, and government entities with respect to over $100 million of tax-advantaged financings and economic development incentives including federal New Market Tax Credits, federal Historic Rehabilitation Credits, state tax credits, and other federal and state tax incentives.
–Provided counsel to private equity funds regarding fund formation and tax-related matters, with an emphasis on federal partnership tax issues.
–Counseled individual and business clients in connection with business and investment transactions to minimize taxes and comply with tax laws.
–Counseled clients concerning formation of business entities, choice of entity, and related matters.
–Represented small to multinational businesses in connection with federal and state tax controversies, including tax appeals and refund litigation.