University of IowaB.A., 1981
University of Iowa College of LawJ.D., 1983
- With Distinction
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, in the practice areas of Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, Banking Law, 2011-present
- Lawyer of the Year 2018-Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Lawyer of the Year 2016-Litigation – Bankruptcy
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers, 2007-present in Bankruptcy, Creditor Rights & Banking
- Martindale Hubbell "AV" peer reviewed
- Fifth Third Bank
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Mercantile Bank
- Chemical Bank
- PNC Bank, N.A.
Counsel for Fifth Third Bank and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in loan restructurings, banking and bankruptcy related matters throughout Michigan.
Counsel to numerous secured lenders, unsecured lenders, bankruptcy trustees and debtors in all nature of bankruptcy, restructuring, and workout proceedings, including corporate and individual reorganization and liquidation proceedings.
Lead bankruptcy counsel for the Debtors in successful Chapter 11 reorganization proceedings of Gainey Corporation, in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2008-2009.
Counsel to various corporate clients, in commercial litigation matters involving fraudulent conveyances, successor liability and other related debtor/creditor affairs.
Former member of panel of private bankruptcy trustees for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan; expert in corporate shutdown and liquidation related issues.
- Chair, Business Subcommittee of the Local Rules Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2011
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association, Western District, MI; Nashville, TN
- Admitted to Practice in Michigan (1983); Illinois (1993)
- Lecturer, Western District of Michigan Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, "Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction Basics (Subject to Stern v. Marshall)," 2012
- Lecturer, Western District of Michigan Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, “Secured Claims and Section 1111(b)”, 2009
- Lecturer/Presenter, “Security Agreements, Perfecting Security Interests, and Understanding Priorities”, ICLE Business Boot Camp I, Basic Training for Every Business Lawyer, 2009
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Forbearance Agreements, Negotiation and Enforcement,” 2005
- Contributing Author, “Strategies for Secured Creditors in Workouts and Foreclosures,” ALI-ABA, 2004
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Multiple/Special Committees Under Section 1102 of the Bankruptcy Code,” 2002
- American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Advanced Chapter 11 Issues,” 2000
- Lecturer, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, “The Absolute Priority Rule and New Value,” 2000
- Lecturer, National Business Institute, “Introduction to Bankruptcy Code and Rules,” 2000