University of IowaB.A., 1981
University of Iowa College of LawJ.D., 1983
- With Distinction
- Grand Rapids Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Banking & Financial Services Law, Bankruptcy and Creditor/Debtor Rights Law, 2019-2020
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law, Banking Law, 2011-2021
- "Lawyer of the Year," Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2016, 2018
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Bankruptcy, Creditor Rights & Banking, 2007-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rating
- Fifth Third Bank
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Mercantile Bank
- Chemical Bank
- PNC Bank, N.A.
Counsel to numerous unsecured creditors, bankruptcy trustees and debtors in all nature of bankruptcy, restructuring, and workout proceedings, including corporate and individual reorganization and liquidation proceedings.
Lead bankruptcy counsel for the Debtors in successful Chapter 11 reorganization proceedings of Gainey Corporation, in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan.
Counsel to numerous small business/corporate clients in day to day insolvency, bankruptcy and restructuring matters, with respect to both creditor claims, and debtor related advice.
Counsel to various corporate clients, in numerous commercial litigation matters involving preference claims, fraudulent conveyances, successor liability and other related debtor/creditor issues.
Counsel to regional home goods supplier in restructuring of $25MM secured credit facility and related real estate loans.
Counsel to national scope private equity fund in numerous bankruptcy related sale and acquisition matters; extensive experience in “363 sales” and Article 9 sales transactions.
Counsel to national insurance company in real estate related loan workout transaction involving distressed shopping center properties.
Counsel to national consumer based lender in litigation matters across the country regarding automatic stay and discharge litigation, and in connection with related class action litigation.
Counsel to largest creditor in individual Chapter 11 proceedings of Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson; authored competing plan resulting in case resolution with material distribution to unsecured creditors, including more than $12.0MM to client.
Counsel to institutional lenders and regulatory agencies in insurance company insolvency matters, including formulation and prosecution of insurance regulator approved restructuring plan.
Counsel to various regional health care providers in restructuring and related merger and acquisition transactions.
Counsel to national telecommunications provider in insolvency proceedings of customers in numerous jurisdictions, including Delaware, Illinois, Michigan and Texas.
Counsel to various borrowers in connection with the review and completion of substantive consolidation opinions in lending transactions.
Former member of panel of private bankruptcy trustees for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan; experienced in receivership proceedings, corporate shutdown and liquidation related issues.
Member of Panel of Qualified Neutrals, United States Bankruptcy Court for Western District of Michigan ADR.
- Chair, Business Subcommittee of the Local Rules Committee, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2011
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- State Bar of Michigan
- Federal Bar Association, Western District, MI; Nashville, TN
- Admitted to Practice in Michigan (1983); Illinois (1993)
Presenter: American Bankruptcy Institute/Federal Bar Association Webinar, “Automotive Insolvency Issues in the COVID Age,” June, 2020.
Co-Author, "Managing Uncertainty Through Financial Crisis Requires Proactive Guidance," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Lecturer, Western District of Michigan Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, “Pre-Petition Workouts,” 2018
- Lecturer, Western District of Michigan Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, "Bankruptcy Court Jurisdiction Basics (Subject to Stern v. Marshall)," 2012
- Lecturer, Western District of Michigan Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, “Secured Claims and Section 1111(b)”, 2009
- Lecturer/Presenter, “Security Agreements, Perfecting Security Interests, and Understanding Priorities”, ICLE Business Boot Camp I, Basic Training for Every Business Lawyer, 2009
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Forbearance Agreements, Negotiation and Enforcement,” 2005
- Contributing Author, “Strategies for Secured Creditors in Workouts and Foreclosures,” ALI-ABA, 2004
- Lecturer, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Multiple/Special Committees Under Section 1102 of the Bankruptcy Code,” 2002
- American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Bankruptcy Workshop, “Advanced Chapter 11 Issues,” 2000
- Lecturer, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Seminar, “The Absolute Priority Rule and New Value,” 2000
- Lecturer, National Business Institute, “Introduction to Bankruptcy Code and Rules,” 2000