Jon Redway is a nationally recognized intellectual property trial lawyer with extensive first chair experience representing clients in patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, false advertising, tortious interference, antitrust, environmental and complex commercial cases before federal and state courts throughout the United States, as well as before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and the International Trade Commission (“ITC”).
Roanoke CollegeB.A., 1982
- cum laude
George Washington UniversityJ.D., 1989
- With Honors
- George Washington Law Review, 1988-1989
- District of Columbia
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers (2014-2019)
- Advanced Digital Broadcast
- AT&T Mobility
- Carhartt, Inc.
- Federal-Mogul Corporation
- Seacrets--Jamaica USA
- Truck Hero
- Urban Outfitters, Inc.
Representative Patent Litigations
- Extang Corporation, Undercover and Laurmark v. LEER. Lead counsel in federal court in Delaware for Truck Hero subsidiaries in patent infringement suit accusing pickup truck cargo box covers.
- Hybrid Audio, LLC v. Advanced Digital Broadcast SA et al. Lead counsel in federal court in Delaware for ADB entities obtaining early dismissals of patent infringement claims accusing signal processing in set top boxes.
- 800 Adept v. ATT Mobility, Lead counsel in federal court in the Eastern District of Texas for Mobility successfully arguing Markman resulting in early dismissal of patent infringement claims accusing cell tower routing of emergency 911 calls.
- Naos v. Magnussen International, Lead counsel in federal court in the Eastern District of Virginia pressing summary judgment to result in accused infringer exiting the market within four months of filing suit with fully paid up license for past infringement.
- Plant Genetic Systems v. Novartis Seeds, Inc., Trial counsel in two week federal court trial in Delaware enforcing plant cell patent claiming heterologous DNA stably integrated into genome encoding acetyl transferase activity.
- Netcraft v. ATT Mobility, Lead counsel in federal court in Delaware for Mobility in patent infringement suit accusing third party billing of smart phone content.
- Oncolmmune, Inc. v. Ohio State Innovation Foundation, Inc. Lead counsel for plaintiff OncoImmune in patent infringement action in federal district court in Maryland.
- Industrial Part Depot v Federal Mogul Corp. Lead counsel for Federal-Mogul in patent infringement action in federal court in Ohio successfully enforcing Federal-Mogul’s proprietary friction-welded steel piston technology.
- Valeo, Inc. v Federal-Mogul Corp. Lead counsel for Federal-Mogul in patent infringement action in federal court in the Western District of Texas involving wiper blade technology.
- Medicis Pharmaceutical Corp. v. Stiefel Laboratories. Lead counsel for inventor in skin cream formulation patent infringement action in federal district court in the Western District of Texas.
- SanDisk v. Viking Components. Lead counsel for Viking in patent preliminary injunction proceeding in federal court in the Northern District of California accusing memory wiring layout.
Representative Trademark Litigations
- Tarsus Connect, LLC v. Cvent, Inc. Lead counsel in federal court in Georgia for Cvent in federally registered and common law trademark dispute.
- Cvent, Inc. v. OVH US LLC et al. Successfully obtained as lead counsel for Cvent in federal district court in Virginia an ex parte temporary restraining order closing down fraudulent cryptocurrency initial coin offering.
- Navajo Nation v. Urban Outfitters, Inc. et al. Lead counsel for Urban Outfitters, Free People and Anthropologie in federal district court in New Mexico in trademark dispute involving the term “Navajo” and clothing accessories.
- Vinyl Technologies, Inc. v. Laser Mechanisms, Inc. Stopped declaratory judgment plaintiff in federal district court in Massachusetts from infringing client’s common law mark through aggressive preliminary injunction motions practice.
- Secrets Resorts v. O.C. Seacrets. Won as lead trial counsel before a Baltimore jury a special verdict of willful infringement and awarding punitive damages despite opinion of counsel defense.
- Cotton Inc. v. Cotton Real Estate. Successfully enjoined in federal district court in Massachusetts the unlawful trademark infringement of the famous Seal of Cotton.
- Clear Channel Communications, Inc. v. CBS Radio, Inc. Successfully appealed in federal district court in Virginia, an ICANN domain name dispute involving ownership and use of the Q102.com Internet domain name.
- Pan American World Airways, Inc. v. Flight 001. Successfully enforced famous Pan American marks in federal district court in New York City.
- Carhartt, Inc. v. Stone & Company. Trial counsel in trademark counterfeiting case in federal district court in Virginia obtaining ex parte seizure order, temporary restraining order, and permanent injunction with the assistance of local and federal law enforcement.
- Anheuser-Busch, Inc. v. John Labatt Ltd. Trial counsel in St. Louis jury verdict win finding that defendant lacked protectable rights in the term “ice beer”.
Representative 337 Investigations (“ITC”)
- In re Certain Folding Bed Cover Systems and Components Thereof. Lead counsel representing Truck Hero subsidiaries in patent and trademark unlawful import investigation including motion for temporary exclusion order.
- In re Certain Powered Covered Plates. Lead counsel representing Ontel in patent infringement investigation.
- In re Windshield Wipers and Components Thereof. Lead counsel winning patent infringement unlawful import investigation trial for Federal-Mogul.
- In re Chassis Parts Incorporating Moveable Sockets and Components Thereof. Lead counsel successfully protecting complainant Federal-Mogul’s proprietary ball joint manufacturing technology.
- In re Certain Integrated Circuits, Processes for Making Same, and Products Containing Same. Trial counsel achieving full defense verdict for Taiwanese semiconductor manufacturer accused of infringing manufacturing and architecture patents.
- In the Matter of Certain Agricultural Vehicles and Components Thereof. Trial counsel for Deere and Co. in successful trade dress and grey market good investigation.
- Member, Intellectual Property Owners Association, Patent Division, U.S. Post-Grant Patent Office Practice
- Member, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
Pro Bono Work
Jon has been active in pro bono matters in the Washington, D.C. area
- Represented The Levine School of Music in the appeal of a special exception allowing the private music school to operate in a residentially-zoned neighborhood in Washington D.C.
- Represented a class of Maryland students and families in an action against the City of Baltimore to obtain their constitutionally guaranteed right to an adequate education
Jon frequently writes and presents on intellectual property topics and serves on the faculty for various intellectual property programs sponsored by the Practicing Law Institute, Advanced Patent Law Institute, as well as other industry organizations.
- Presenter, "U.S. Trademark Enforcement," International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, May 18, 2019
- Presenter, “Section 337 Enforcement Proceedings for the International Trade Commission,” International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, May 20–24, 2017.
- A Powerful Weapon Against Infringing Imports, Today’s General Counsel, June/July 2016 Edition
- Stopping Trade Secret Misappropriation At The Border, co-author (IP Frontline 2011)
- Moderator, Trademark Enforcement Before the International Trade Commission, International Trademark Association, Annual Meeting, May 2011, San Francisco, California
- Presenter and Author, Patent Opinion Writing: An Update, Advanced Patent Law Institute, January 20-21, 2011, United States Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria, Virginia
- Presenter and Author, Recent Developments and Issues on Patent Damages, Advanced Patent Law Institute, January 10-11, 2008, United States Patent and Trademark Office, Alexandria, Virginia
- Presenter and Author, Devising and Executing Discovery Plans in the Age of e-Mail, ALI-ABA Course Study on Litigating Trademark, Domain Name, and Unfair Competition Cases, October 2006, Boston, Massachusetts
- Author, "The Use of Survey Evidence in Trademark and Unfair Competition Cases: Insights and Practice Tips", Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 22, Number 10, October 2005
- Presenter and Author, Use of Expert Witnesses, ALI-ABA Course Study on Litigating Trademark, Domain Name, and Unfair Competition Cases, May 2005, Washington, D.C.