Mr. Baker has represented companies of all sizes in patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters. He has litigated cases in diverse technologies, including computer hardware and software, wireless communications, semiconductors, analog circuitry, life sciences, and financial trading systems.
Mr. Baker’s background in electrical engineering enables him to understand the relevant technology at a deep technical level, while his experience in the courtroom allows him to convey the technological and legal issues clearly and persuasively to judges and juries.
After law school, Mr. Baker clerked for the Hon. Alvin A. Schall on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Harvard Law SchoolJ.D., 1997
- cum laude
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyM.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1994
University of MarylandB.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992
- summa cum laude
- Northern California Super Lawyers
- Intellectual Property Litigation, 2015-2020
- Acritas Stars, 2018
- The National Law Journal
- “Defense Hot List”
- Acer, Inc.
- Advanced Analogic Technologies Inc.
- Amkor, Inc.
- CME Group, Inc.
- Creative Technology, Ltd.
- MONKEYmedia, Inc.
- Roku, Inc.
- Tivo, Inc.
- ZiiLabs, Inc.
Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement case involving nine patents related to remote control technology for media streaming players. Universal Electronics, Inc. v. Roku, Inc. (C.D. Cal.)
Co-lead counsel for plaintiff in trade secret misappropriation case involving theft of source code and related trade secrets. Obtained preliminary order against defendant. Stratacache, Inc. v. Chopra, (N.D. Cal.)
Lead counsel for respondents in U.S. International Trade Commission case related to Bluetooth headsets. Won summary determination of invalidity on all asserted patents. In the Matter of Certain Wireless Headsets, Inv. No. 337-TA-943
Lead counsel for patent owner in U.S. International Trade Commission case for infringement of patent related to graphical user interfaces for portable electronic devices. In the Matter of Certain Portable Electronic Devices and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-994
Lead counsel for patent owner in IPR proceeding related to seamless expansion of media content. Prevailed on over 80% of challenged claims. Unified Patents, Inc. v. MONKEYmedia, Inc. (PTAB)
Lead counsel for patent owner in U.S. International Trade Commission case for infringement of patents related to semiconductor chip packaging. Obtained exclusion order against client’s competitor. Certain Encapsulated Integrated Circuit Devices, Inv. No. 337-TA-501
Represented defendant in patent infringement case involving electronic financial exchanges. Won key claim construction rulings. Fifth Market, Inc. v. CME Group, Inc., et al. (D. Del.)
Defended commodities exchange in patent lawsuit related to electronic market maker trading systems. Patent invalidated in administrative proceeding after obtaining stay of district court case. CME v. Technology Research Group (N.D. Ill.)
Lead counsel for defendant in patent litigation involving 3D graphics technology. Won summary judgment of invalidity. FuzzySharp Technologies, Inc. v. ZiiLabs, Inc., Ltd. (N.D. Cal.)
Represented patent owner in worldwide patent infringement litigation related to cellular network infrastructure in the United States, Holland, Germany and Japan. High Point Sarl (E.D. Va.), (D. Kan.)
Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement litigation related to parental control features for video playback devices. Guardian Media Technologies, Ltd. v. Colby Electronics Corp. (C.D. Cal.)
Defended chip manufacturer in U.S. International Trade Commission case related to voltage regulator chips. Certain Voltage Regulators, Components Thereof, and Products Containing Same, Inv. No. 337-TA-564
Defended computer manufacturer in seven-patent suit involving wireless networking, CDMA modules, processor architecture and power management. Saxon Innovations, LLC v. Apple Inc., et al. (E.D. Tex.)
Represented computer manufacturer in multi-district and U.S. International Trade Commission litigation involving computer architecture, I/O systems, device drivers, and power management. Acer v. HP (W.D. Wis.); Certain Computer Systems, Printers and Scanners, Inv. No. 337-TA-618
Represented computer manufacturer in 15-patent lawsuit involving video coding, computer graphics, and user interfaces. Won key claim construction, non-infringement, and invalidity rulings. Lucent Technologies, Inc. v. Gateway, Inc. (S.D. Cal.)
Represented computer manufacturer in 7 district court and U.S. International Trade Commission cases involving assertion of over 50 patents. Defeated motion for preliminary injunction and won on all patents asserted in ITC case which led to favorable settlement. HP v. Gateway (S.D. Cal.), (W.D. Wis.), Certain Personal Computers, Server Computers, and Components Thereof, Inv. Nos. 337-TA-509, 337-TA-519, 337-TA-547
Represented computer manufacturer in patent suit involving computer docking stations. Won summary judgment of non-infringement. Computer Docking Station Corp. v. Dell, Inc. (W.D. Wis.)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- ITC Trial Lawyers Association
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Assistant Den Leader, Cub Scouts
- Coach, Girl Scouts VEX Robotics Team
- Referee, American Youth Soccer Organization
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- An Overview of Section 337 Litigation at the U.S. International Trade Commission, PLI’s 11th Annual Patent Law Institute
- Technology Company Perspectives on Patent Litigation: What Can Each Patent Adjudication Institution Learn from the Other, USITC in Silicon Valley, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- The New Patent Law Explained, First Inventor to File, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology
- Nuts & Bolts of Patent Litigation, Berkeley Center for Law & Technology