Peter is a tax attorney with wide ranging experience representing clients in transactional matters. Peter's tax practice focuses in the areas of tax-advantage financings, partnership taxation, mergers and acquisitions, and cross-border tax planning. In addition, Peter has significant experience representing clients in administrative and regulatory matters, real estate development, gaming law, and general business transactional matters.
Michigan State UniversityB.A., 1997
Michigan State University College of LawJ.D., 2001
- summa cum laude
- Law Review Note & Comment Editor, 2000-2001
- Law Review, 1999-2001
- Dean's List all semesters
New York UniversityLL.M, 2003
- Best Lawyers in America®
- International Mergers and Acquisitions, 2021-2023
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Star," Tax Attorney, 2011-2014
- Private Equity Funds
- Publicly-held and closely-held business entities
Counsel to closely-held and public companies in connection with federal tax matters, including tax-free corporate reorganization, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including arbitrage and rebate requirements.
Representing bond issuers and conduit borrowers in examinations before the Internal Revenue Service.
Counseling developers, nonprofit, for-profit, and government entities with respect to over $100 Million of tax-advantaged financings and economic development incentives including federal New Market Tax Credits, federal Historic Rehabilitation Credits, state tax credits, and other federal and state tax incentives.
Federal partnership taxation, including tax planning and counseling in connection with the formation, capitalization, operations and terminations of entities taxed as partnerships.
Tax planning and compliance counseling with respect to structuring mergers, acquisitions, disposition and business transactions to minimize taxes and comply with federal tax laws.
Counsel to business entities relating to inbound and outbound investments with respect to U.S. Federal tax matters.
TG Missouri Corp v. Commissioner, 133 T.C. No. 13 (2009) – (successfully represented taxpayers in lead national case involving interpretation of statutory provisions allowing for the federal Research Credit).
Representing real estate developers in the acquisition, development, financing and sale of commercial and multi-family residential projects.
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Michigan Bar Association (Member, Tax Section)
- American Bar Association (Member, Taxation Section and Partnership/LLCs and Tax Exempt Financing Committees)
- International Masters of Gaming Law
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Former aide to United States Senator Spencer Abraham (R-MI) and Congressman Dick Chrysler (R-MI)
- Providing pro bono legal assistance to various non-profit organizations with respect to federal tax exemption matters
- Member and Vice Chair, Board of Directors, Capital Area Housing Partnership, Inc.
- Former Member and Former Chair, Board of Directors, Franklin Street Community Housing Corporation
- United States Tax Court
- Speaker, “The American Rescue Plan for Public Government,” Dickinson Wright and The Right Place webinar, April 2021
- Speaker, “DW/BSO Business Succession Planning- Be Proactive & Prepared,” DW Webinar, March 2021
- Co-Author, “IRS Provides Relief for Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 Travel Disruptions,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- Co-author, “Update – SBA Adds Guidance Regarding Necessity Certification Under the Paycheck Protection Program”, Dickinson Wright News Alert, April 2020
- Co-Author, "Congress Working to Pass the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”)," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Co-Author, LexisNexis Gaming Law & Practice Guide, 2019
- "A Tale of the Federal Research Credit – Using TG Missouri to Maximize the Benefit," 20 J. Multi-State Tax 20, (2010).
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Cases Involving Casino Businesses, Collier Guide to Chapter 11 Practice (2010).
- Prolific author of gaming and tax law articles published in leading publications such as Casino Lawyer, Casino Enterprise Management, ABA Gaming Law Gazette, the Gaming Law and Economics Review, Drake Law Review, John Marshall Law Review and various other gaming industry publications and frequent panelist at national gaming law and tax law conferences.