Hospitals, medical providers, insurance organizations and other health care professionals depend on cutting edge technology to thrive in the ever-changing health care industry. With that technology, however, comes a number of challenges and risks that can threaten entire businesses if handled improperly.
By combining our information technology expertise with our sophisticated health care practice, Dickinson Wright attorneys are uniquely qualified to assist health care clients in navigating the technology world. Be it through software licenses, intellectual property protection, data security and data privacy procedures or otherwise, Dickinson Wright is ready, willing and certainly able to assist your health care business in all matters concerning the technology it needs to succeed.
Among our specific areas of expertise are:
- Drafting, modifying and negotiating software license agreements, including those related to electronic medical records, e-billing and enterprise resource planning, for all types of health care industry participants.
- Guiding health care businesses through the pros and cons of cloud service, hosted software and software subscription arrangements.
- Organizing legal frameworks for federated identity management programs that provide health care providers, payers, public health agencies and health care administrators access to protected resources through federated, trusted sets of identification information.
- Counseling health care clients through data security and data privacy issues, including those related to data security breaches, cloud based storage and information technology outsourcing.
- Establishing effective security policies that are fully compliant with HIPAA, HITECH, state and other federal laws and that protect our health care clients’ information assets.
- Developing “shrink wrap” and “click through” agreements that provide health care professionals with efficient and secure access to sensitive information.
- Advising health care clients regarding data encryption techniques, requirements and regulations.
- Providing assistance with website development and web hosting agreements.