Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
From the initial stages of research and development to trademark analysis, patent prosecution, and portfolio management, Dickinson Wright’s Life Sciences practice group assists our clients in advancing their pivotal innovations globally. Combining our team’s strengths in multiple disciplines, including biology, chemistry, health care, corporate, intellectual property, finance, agribusiness, and litigation, we serve a variety of clients in the life sciences space, from universities to hospitals and medical device developers to technology and biotech companies.
Our life sciences practice serves the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and agricultural industries, along with the banks, venture capital funds, and private equity funds that partner with them. We provide personalized legal strategies tailored to our clients’ needs for funding, licensing, and protection with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and other regulatory agencies in the following areas:
|• Chemistry||• Cytogenetics|
|• Medical Imaging
|• Molecular Biology
||• Bioinformatics & Genomics
||• Plant Genetics & Agricultural Science
|• Gene Therapy
||• Pharmaceuticals & Drug Discovery|
• Organizing corporations and limited liability companies, including drafting articles, bylaws, operating agreements, shareholder buy and sell agreements, equity compensation agreements, tax registrations, and authorizing resolutions.
• Advising and counseling on company financings, including founders’ stock, pre-seed and seed capital, angel rounds and venture capital placements, and related corporate governance issues.
• Assisting biotech companies with public reporting, compliance, and capital raising.
• Drafting commercial documents, including SaaS agreements, purchase orders, sales contracts, terms and conditions, licensing agreements, sales representatives, distribution, supplier/customer, consignment, and professional services agreements.
• Assisting with business succession plans, buyouts, shareholder agreements, business contracts, and employee stock incentive plans.
• Advice and assistance through every stage of the R&D lifecycle, including the creation of policies, negotiation of clinical trial agreements, and development of research affiliation agreements with academic partners and collaborating research sites.
• Advice on FDA regulatory requirements such as the restrictions on the promotion of pharmaceutical products and medical devices; the requirements for bringing FDA-regulated products to market; the treatment of investigational products under expanded access protocols; and the context of humanitarian use devices and special rules regarding the use of human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products.
• Representation of clients regarding proprietary plants, genetics, and plant-derived products.
• Counsel to a private medical research institute for the development and approval of multiple medical technologies, including biomaterials, personalized medicine and anti-aging technologies.
• Serving as patent prosecution counsel for numerous clients with subject matter focus in life sciences, plant technologies, and health-IT-related inventions.
• Providing clinical research contracts and regulatory counsel to publicly-traded medical technology companies conducting multi-site clinical research trials.
• Counseling start-up medical device manufacturers in product classification and pre-market strategy.
• Counseling clients regarding university or institutional-based innovations, including innovation & entrepreneurship (I&E) programs, policy formation, and institutional management of innovation flow.
• Serving as counsel for a large health provider for a transaction to market and distribute an internally developed diagnostic platform, including laboratory services, marketing, and distribution.
Related Practice Areas
|• Cannabis||• Intellectual Property|
|• Corporate Finance||• Intellectual Property Litigation
|• Emerging Businesses||• IP Licensing & Transactions
|• Food & Agribusiness
||• Mergers & Acquisitions|
|• Health Care
|• Health Care Research & Academic Institutions||• Private Equity
|• Health Care Litigation
||• Product Liability & Personal Injury
|• Higher Education||• Trademarks|