Steven works with several clients in the emerging online gaming industry, serving as external IP counsel and managing large-scale patent portfolios, including multi-million dollar sale negotiations. Steven provides strategic counsel on trademark protection, prepares and prosecutes trademark applications, enforces intellectual property rights, and litigates patent infringement matters. He also helps clients navigate proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including settling inter partes review cases before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
As an undergrad, he worked for the Washoe County Commission, the United States Attorney’s Office, and a United States Senator. Steven also helped lead the University of Nevada to a National Collegiate Roller Hockey Association Championship.
University of Nevada, RenoB.A., Political Science and a minor in Law, 2008
- High Distinction
- Dean’s list, all eligible semesters
- Two Term Associate Student Body Senator
- President of the Honors Society
- Member of Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Order of Omega
- President of the Hockey Team-won a Division II NCRHA National championship
University of San Diego School of LawJ.D., 2011
- Outstanding oral argument award McLennon Moot Court Tournament
- Cali Award IP Business and Strategies
- Sweet 16- Tulane University Sports Law Moot Court Tournament
- 1L Representative for the Student Bar Association
- Executive Member of Moot Court Board
- Director of Law School Softball
- Mountain State Super Lawyers "Rising Stars," 2019
- Nevada Business Magazine’s Legal Elite 2018, “Northern Nevada Top Attorney” for Business Litigation, Gaming & Hospitality, Intellectual Property
- SATA GmbH
- NYX Gaming Group
- Gaming Partners International
- Safe Securities LP
- SEUS Corp
- Southwest Behavioral Solutions
Received a $15 million dollar judgment against a repeat foreign counterfeiter infringing upon client’s intellectual property.
Negotiated a $2 million dollar sale of patent portfolio to a major gaming manufacturer
Settled a patent infringement case for nuisance value after the plaintiff asserted damages in excess of tens of millions of dollars
Participated in and favorably settled two IPR’s after having achieved institution on behalf of the petitioner
External in-house IP counsel for an emerging online gaming company that recently went public and has completed over $250 million in acquisitions
Served as counsel on patent case defending the action on summary Judgment on 102(b) on sale bar
Lead the defense on a multi-million dollar patent litigation, and settled the case favorably for nuisance value.
Prosecuted and managed a trademark portfolio of over 300 marks.
- Washoe County Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Reno-Tahoe Young Professionals Network
- Chapter Counselor for Sigma Phi Epsilon Nevada Alpha
- U.S. District Court District of Nevada
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
- Presenter, "Tools, Tips and Techniques to Address Trade Show Infringement," INTA Annual Conference, May 20, 2018
- Author, “Here, there or everywhere: Patent Venue post TC Heartland,” Northern Nevada Law Journal, November 2, 2017.
- Author “Federal Circuit Court of Appeals Limits Common Sense in Obviousness Determinations in Patent Claims” LAW 360 September 9, 2016.
- Author “Ain’t Nobody Got Time for That: How Sweet Brown’s New Viral Video Seeks to Expand the Bounds of Secondary Intellectual Property Rights.” Watson Rounds Client Alert, April 12, 2013.
- Presenter “Playing By the Rules” CLE Ethics Presentation, UNLV Law School, December 13, 2016.
- Presenter “IP and Bankruptcy collide” CLE Presentation for the Northern Nevada Bankruptcy Bar Association, May, 2017.