Mark Heusel is an experienced commercial business attorney and serves as the Chair of the Firm’s China/ASEAN Region Practice Group. He has more than 25 years of experience in representing multi-national companies in the manufacturing, retail and automotive industries. Mr. Heusel’s experience includes advising foreign companies in the areas of foreign direct investment in the United States, business formation, Greenfield investment, international trade, commercial transactional matters, and dispute resolution. In his role as International Practice Group Chair, he serves as general counsel to companies throughout Asia and Europe, directing the firm’s resources to better assist his clients.
Mr. Heusel began his legal career by representing clients in a variety of litigation matters in state and federal courts and in various domestic and international arbitral forums. With more than 20 years of litigation experience, particularly in the areas of contract disputes, supply chain litigation, employment matters (including discrimination and wrongful discharge litigation), commission disputes, personal injury, and real estate and land use litigation, he gained invaluable first-chair experience in understanding and recognizing how a company’s success may be impacted by business disputes.
Leveraging this experience, Mr. Heusel focused his career on assisting foreign companies entering the North American market. His interests and passion for helping companies in a proactive manner led to his current position as International Practice Group Chair, where he now has the opportunity to advise and counsel clients entering or expanding their businesses in North America.
The University of MichiganB.A., 1989
- High Honors
- Student Judiciary
- Track and Cross-Country Teams
- Honors Program, High Distinction
Wayne State UniversityJ.D., 1992
- Moot Court Team, Oralist
- American Bar Association, Mendes Hershman Scholarship
- Research Assistant, Professor Katherine Heidt
- Michigan Super Lawyers (2010-2019)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America (2011-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell - AV Preeminent Attorney
- Corporate INTL Magazine, Automotive Litigation Attorney of the Year in Michigan
- Dbusiness 2015 Top Lawyers
- Subaru Research & Development
- Tianhai Electric North America, Inc.
- Guangzhou Automobile Co., Ltd.
- China Auto Electronics Group
- THB Group
- J.C. Penney's Company
- Contemporary Amperex Technologies
- Kingfa Science and Technologies (USA)
- BAIC Motor Technical Center, North America
- Zhuzhou Cemented Carbide
- Shanghai ViQuest
- Ilmor Engineering
- EMCO Corporation
- WenXi Regal Magnesium/ Regal Metal
- Minth Group
- Camel Battery Group
- Shengrui Transmission Co., Ltd.
- SF Motors
- Joyson Holding
- Successfully represented clients before courts and arbitral bodies in Michigan, Ohio, New York, Illinois, California, Tennessee, Indiana, Kentucky, Canada, Shanghai, Jiangsu Province, Hong Kong, Singapore, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, American Arbitration Association, NASD, FINRA, TTAB, and other dispute resolution center.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgments on behalf of Chinese manufacturer in international arbitration.
- Obtained million dollar judgment on behalf of international tier 1 supplier.
- Over 20 years of experience successfully representing and defending manufacturers in a broad range of litigation involving contracts, purchase orders, intellectual property, trade secrets, defective products, tortuous acts, discrimination and wrongful termination cases, commission disputes, non-compete litigation, commercial transactions and embezzlement.
- Successfully defended significant personal injury cases on behalf of service businesses, including claims for wrongful death, serious physical and emotional injury, and property damage.
- Serves as General Counsel and advisor to numerous companies doing business in North America and the Peoples Republic of China, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, and Europe.
- Advises clients on matters involving real estate acquisitions, state and local incentives, site selection, zoning and land use, regulatory issues affecting proposed properties, and environmental issues.
- Recently advised OEMs from both China and Japan on multi-million dollar projects involving the development of their North American headquarters, including site selection, site development and acquisition, and the construction of the facilities.
- Advised Chinese manufacturers in the acquisition of land for the development of manufacturing facilities.
- Frequently advises on matters related to inbound U.S. investment and the transaction of business between China and the United States, including tariffs, export controls, regulations under the Export Control Reform Act, the Export Administration Act, the Trade Expansion Act, and the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act.
- Led China Team in closing asset acquisition of non-ferrous metal processing facilities in Ohio.
- Led China Team in closing stock acquisition of an electric motor technology company in California.
- Led China Team in closing stock acquisition of vehicle supplier in Illinois.
- Chair, China Practice Group, Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Michigan State Bar, member in good standing (1992), International Law Section
- Ohio State Bar, member in good standing (2012)
- Washtenaw County Bar Association, litigation section
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, previously a Fellow
- Admitted to practice in Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, Northern Districts of Illinois and Ohio, Southern District of New York, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Federal Bar Association, member
- Detroit Chinese Business Association
- Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce
- US China Business Council
- North American Association of Chinese Engine Engineers
- Detroit Chinese Engineers Association
- Council of Asian Pacific Americans, Advisory Board
- North America Society of Chinese Automotive Engineers
- City of Ann Arbor Retirement Board, Trustee
- Washtenaw County Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, Board Member (2009-2015)
- Washtenaw County Circuit Court, Neutral Case Evaluator, Employment and Commercial Panels
- Humane Society of Huron Valley, former Chairman and volunteer
- Michigan Theater Foundation, Towsley Society Member
- Friends of the Michigan League, volunteer
- Thomas Cooley Law School, Adjunct Professor of Law
- President Trump Renews Threat of Tariffs Against China in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic | 特朗普总统重申对中国加征关税的威胁应对新冠疫情的大流行, Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2020
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) PRECAUTIONS FOR EMPLOYERS | 新型冠状病毒疫情雇主需注意事项, Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Dickinson Wright Tariff Alerts, China Group effort, June 2018 – current
- Moderator and Host, “Critical Issues Facing Chinese Companies Today,” hosted by Dickinson Wright, August 2018
- Presenter, “Conducting Business in the US,” hosted by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and China Innovation Center (Michigan-China Week), May 2018
- Presenter, “Importation of Foreign Vehicles for Sale in the United States, Regulatory, IP, and Commercial Issues,” client in-house training, May 2018
- Presenter, “CFIUS Under the New Administration: Uncovering Significant Developments,” webinar hosted by the theknowledgegroup.org., November 2017
- Presenter, “Site Development Considerations in the US,” client in-house training, September 2017
- Presenter, “Doing Business in the US,” hosted by the Michigan Economic Development Corporation and China Innovation Center (Michigan-China Week), May 2017
- Presenter, “Legal Issues to Consider when doing Business in North America,” hosted by Michigan Economic Development Corporation, Detroit Regional Chamber, China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, Detroit, Michigan, November 2016
- Presenter, “Key Consideration for Doing Business in North America,” hosted by Auto Parts Alliance, Southfield Michigan, November 2016
- Presenter, “How Chinese Auto Companies Enter and Land in North America,” China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, Beijing, China, April 2016
- Panelist, CCPIT/MEDC US-China Auto Forum, Beijing Automotive Exhibition, Beijing, China, April 2016
- Lecturer, Shandong Government delegation, The University of Michigan School of Public Health, Spring 2016
- Interviewed by Voice of America, aired in China on January 4, 2016 - Topic: The growing presence of Chinese automotive companies in Michigan
- Moderator, "The Opportunities and Challenges of a Multi-Cultural Workplace," Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce, September 2015
- Panelist, Investor Briefing: China's Evolution - A Changing Market. Detroit Regional Chamber, August 2015
- Presenter, "China Automotive: Doing Business in the U.S.," GlobalBusinessProfessor.com, June 2015
- Presenter, "Chinese Investment Opportunities in North America's Global Forum on Auto Tech Cooperation & Industry Fusion," Jiading, Shanghai, China, April 2015
- Presenter, Ninghai Investment Summit, Ninghai, Ningbo, China, April 2015
- Presenter, China Die & Mould Industry Association Delegation, Detroit, Michigan, March 2015
- Quoted, "Detroit's Plan: Export Cars, Import Chinese Investment," The Wall Street Journal, China Realtime, January 14, 2014
- Quoted, "Chinese Autos Not Ready For Prime Time, Absent From Cobo," The Detroit News, January 26, 2014
- Panelist, "Joint Ventures: Why Cross the Ocean?" Asian Pacific American Chamber of Commerce, April 2014
- Panelist, Sino-US Auto Summit, China Council for the Promotion of International Trade, Beijing, China, April 2014
- Panelist, Michigan Investment Forum, Beijing and Ningbo, China, April 2014
- Presenter, "Responding to Workplace Harassment," three part webinar hosted by Michigan Chamber of Commerce, April-June 2014
- Presenter, "Doing Business in North America," Gasgoo Global Auto Sources, Dalian and Ningbo, China, September 2013