Engaging in international trade is subject to strict regulation and violations can carry severe criminal and civil penalties. With numerous agencies charged with enforcement and different laws applicable in different countries, compliance and reporting are particularly complicated. Therefore, those engaged in international trade need a legal partner that can help them navigate these complexities.
Dickinson Wright’s international team is highly experienced at helping clients with customs and international trade issues and meeting their compliance obligations while maximizing benefits and opportunities through international trade.
Our international trade and customs expertise includes:
- Advising on import activities, including proper classification of merchandise, correct valuation, origin designation, consumer product safety, and regulatory restrictions and exemptions.
- Advising on export controls and compliance with regulatory restrictions, including the Export Administration Act, the Export Administration Regulations, the Arms Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulations, among others.
- Counseling clients regarding customs compliance, customs fines, penalties, seizure, and customs and ITC investigations.
- Assisting clients regarding international trade restrictions, assessments and audits, ruling requests, and protesting and challenging of CBP decisions.
- Offering guidance on recordkeeping, reporting obligations and strategies to avoid sanctions.
- Advising on NAFTA and other preferential trade agreements and the negotiation of export control-compliant trade agreements.
- Advising on international transactions and treaty compliance issues, including sanctions, embargos, the FCPA, anti-boycott regulations, and anti-money laundering.