Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
USTR Issues Determination of Reinstatement of Certain Exclusions from China Section 301 Tariffs on March 23, 2022 | 美国贸易代表办公室在2022年3月23日宣布重新豁免部分中国进口商品301关税
In our previous Trade Update (39th Edition), we reported that the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative was considering the possible reinstatement of previously extended product exclusions from China Section 301 Tariffs. Specifically, USTR invited comments from the public on whether to reinstate the 549 previously granted and extended exclusions. We enclosed an index of the 549 exclusions in our previous trade alert. Most of these extended exclusions expired by December 31, 2020, and the remaining exclusions expired by 2021.
On March 23, 2022, USTR made an official announcement of its determination to reinstate 352 of the 549 eligible exclusions after its careful consideration of the public comments and in consultation with other government agencies.
The reinstated exclusions are set out in the Federal Register notice (the "Notice"), which was published on March 28, 2022. A copy of the Notice can be viewed here.
The reinstated product exclusions announced in the Notice include 89 exclusions covered under List 1, 34 exclusions covered under List 2, 187 exclusions covered under List 3, and 42 exclusions covered under List 4A. These reinstated exclusions are available for any product that meets the descriptions in the Notice, regardless of whether an exclusion request was filed with USTR or not. In particular, the scope of each reinstated exclusion is governed by the scope of the 10-digit HTS Code and product descriptions outlined in the Annex to this Notice.
As explained in the Notice, these 352 reinstated exclusions are retroactive to October 12, 2021 (the date when USTR began the public comment process) and are valid through December 31, 2022. USTR "may consider further extensions as appropriate," but it has not opened public comments process regarding such further extensions.
正如公告正文所解释的，恢复的这352项产品关税豁免将从2021年10月12日起 (美国贸易代表办公室开启恢复豁免的公众评论程序之日) 生效直至2022年12月31日。美国贸易代表办公室还表示其可能会根据情况考虑进一步延长产品豁免，但是尚未开启此类延长豁免的公众意见征询程序。
As always, if you have any questions regarding the Section 301 exclusion process, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Industry Alerts USTR Considers Removing Additional Duties from Medical-Care Products from Section 301 Tariffs to Address the Covid-19 Outbreak
- Industry Alerts New Section 301 Tariffs Proposed for $200 Billion of Chinese Goods
- Industry Alerts Section 301 Tariffs on Chinese Goods - USTR Issues Procedures for Product Exclusion Requests
- March 21, 2022 Industry Alerts Freedom to Operate Opinions: What Are They, and Why Are They Important? | 技术的自由实施 (FTO) 尽职调查意见书：是什么？为什么重要？
- July 21, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (38th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十八期)
- April 19, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (37th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十七期)
- February 02, 2021 Industry Alerts DW-China Trade Update (36th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十六期)
- September 23, 2020 Industry Alerts DW China Trade Update (35th Edition) | 迪克森律所中国团队简报 (第三十五期)
- September 16, 2020 Industry Alerts WTO Ruling Finds U.S. in Violation of International Regulations by Imposing Section 301 Tariffs on Chinese Imports | 世贸组织裁决美国对华征收301条款关税违反国际法规