Mr. Krieger has extensive experience litigating cases involving the infringement of intellectual property rights over the Internet, and has successfully shut down websites containing infringing material, secured the transfer of infringing domain names for his clients, and counseled clients in defensive domain name registration strategies to protect their intellectual property in the U.S. and around the world. He has summarily defeated challenges to jurisdiction and obtained numerous preliminary and permanent injunctions against third party infringers.
Mr. Krieger has also litigated matters involving the infringement of trademarks, trade dress and copyrights, as well as counterfeit goods, at international Las Vegas trade shows, including obtaining emergency seizure orders and permanent injunctive relief. He has filed numerous opposition and cancellation proceedings on behalf of clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Mr. Krieger has sought or defended the full spectrum of remedies including actual, statutory, and punitive damages; temporary restraining order; preliminary injunctions; permanent injunctions; and contempt hearings.
Mr. Krieger counsels clients on strategies to strengthen their intellectual property assets and avoid litigation by properly developing, documenting, registering and licensing their intellectual property rights. He regularly files trademark and copyright applications, at both the state and federal level, on behalf of clients. Mr. Krieger also conducts intellectual property audits and works with clients to inventory intellectual property and develop and implement asset protection plans.
Mr. Krieger counsels with many clients in the entertainment industry, including artists, actors, authors, musicians and reality show participants, to make sure their rights are protected. He has worked on a variety of agreements, including licensing, royalty, publishing, location, rights of publicity, waivers, indemnifications and related contracts.
Washington University School of LawJ.D., 1996
Brigham Young UniversityB.A., 1993
- National Law Journal, Technology Law Trailblazers, 2019
- AV/Preeminent Attorney® as rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America, Copyright and Trademark Law, 2013-present
- Nevada Business 2013 and 2014 Legal Elite “Southern Nevada Best,” “Top 150” category in 2012, 2016 and 2018
- Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2013 – 2015, 2018-2020, Top 100 in 2014, 2018, 2019
- Medal of Justice Award, State Bar of Nevada, 2014
- Vegas, Inc. “Top Lawyer,” 2012
- Myrna Williams Children’s Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid Society of Southern Nevada, 2012
- In Business Las Vegas, “Forty Under 40,” 2007
Developed and successfully implemented an email retention policy for a regional transportation entity. The development process included distilling and applying thousands of varying retention regulations and requirements in creating a workable policy for the entire agency. Implementation included training all employees at the agency, which consisted of over 17 different departments.
Won a $15 million dollar judgment against a repeat foreign counterfeiter infringing upon client’s intellectual property.
Obtained numerous seizure orders and effectuated the seizure of infringing products at the SEMA trade show, including an award of attorneys’ fees.
Won multiple maximum statutory damage awards as lead counsel at trial for copyright infringement of an artistic work reproduced on a t-shirt, including an award for full attorneys’ fees and costs.
Won summary judgment on trademark infringement involving THE PLATTERS; settled favorably prior to trial.
Successful representation of online sports book accused of copyright infringement; settled favorably prior to trial.
Won $1,100,000 judgment against “ratings” website for defamation and other related business torts.
Won summary judgment, damages, and award of attorneys’ fees and costs on trademark infringement involving THE PLATTERS.
Successful representation of recording artist on copyright infringement claims against former business partner.
Successful representation of trademark owner involving infringement occurring at SEMA trade show resulting in $100,000 judgment.
Obtained nationwide injunction against “Doe” counterfeiters on copyright and trademark infringement claims involving unauthorized merchandise.
Won maximum statutory damage judgment and attorneys’ fees award against website operator offering unauthorized “live streaming” of client’s MMA events.
Obtained permanent injunction and award of attorney’s fees against foreign national appearing at CES trade show in trademark infringement action.
Won judgment and award of attorneys’ fees and costs clearing trademark rights to THE PLATTERS mark.
Successful representation of Vegas.com in trademark infringement action and companion antitrust action.
Won $700,000 judgment and award of attorneys’ fees on multiple claims of copyright infringement involving ten pictorial works subject to three federal copyright registrations.
Successful representation of newspaper publisher involving politician’s acquisition of domain names incorporating publisher’s trademarks; resolved favorably prior to trial.
Successful representation of publisher of “Los Angeles Confidential” magazine in a trademark infringement action by the owner of the LA CONFIDENTIAL mark.
Successful representation of owners of THE LITTLE WHITE WEDDING CHAPEL and VIVA LAS VEGAS WEDDING CHAPEL marks on trademark infringement claims; settled favorably prior to trial.
Successful representation of inventor and manufacturer accused of trade secret misappropriation involving heavy-hauler trailer; settled favorably prior to trial.
Numerous cases winning maximum statutory damages and awards of attorneys’ fees against cybersquatters, including several major resorts and casinos.
Filed numerous URDP actions obtaining transfer of domain names for several multi-million dollar companies
- Intellectual Property Section of the Nevada State Bar, Member and Former Chair
- Clark County Bar Association, Member
- California State Bar Intellectual Property Section, Member
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference for the District of Nevada, Former Lawyer Representative
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Former Adjunct Professor teaching “The Law of the Internet”
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Board of Directors
- Opera Las Vegas, Board of Directors
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Federal Club member
- Golden Rainbow of Las Vegas, Board of Directors
- Co-Author, “Romag Fasteners V. Fossil: Unfastening the Circuit Split on Profit Awards for Trademark Infringement,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2020
- Panelist, “Intellectual Property Rights and Claims before a Trade Show,” IP Rights Enforcement at Trade Shows: International Perspectives and Best Practices, University of Las Vegas, Nevada, School of Law, October 4, 2018
- Presenter, "Tools, Tips and Techniques to Address Trade Show Infringement," INTA Annual Conference, May 20, 2018
- Panelist, “IP at Trade Shows: Challenges, Trends and Best Practices” and “Case Study: Removing Infringing Goods from a Trade Show,” IP and Trade Shows: Roundtable on Protecting and Enforcing IP in the Trade Show Context, USPTO Global Intellectual Property Academy, Alexandria, Virginia, October 18, 2017
- Speaker, “Your Client’s Online Activities And The Law: A Case Study Of Typical Cyber Law, Intellectual Property And Promotional Gaming Violations Facing Companies Today,” ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, September 15, 2017
- Speaker, “Confronting Counterfeit Goods: Obtaining Emergency Injunctive Relief and Seizure Orders at Trade Shows,” Dickinson Wright sponsored seminar at International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, May 20–24, 2017
- Speaker, “A Constant Battle: Trademarks in the Media and Entertainment Industries,” American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Spring Meeting, May 17-19, 2017
- Speaker, “Best Practices in Preventing Cybersquatting: What Your Firm Needs to Know,” Knowledge Group Live Webinar, February 22, 2017
- Author, “Cybersecurity Protecting Personally Identifiable Information,” Nevada Business Magazine, November 2016
- Speaker, “Online Activities—Your Clients Cause Perilous Pitfalls Without Suitable Guidance,” ABA American Bar Association’s Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 8-10, 2016
- Speaker, “Why Your Corporate Clients’ Mundane Online Presence May Trigger Several Not So Mundane Consequences,” ABA American Bar Association’s Business Law Section Annual Meeting, September 17-19, 2015
- Author, “How to Protect Customers’ Private Information,” Vegas Inc., February 9, 2015
- Author, “Sweepstakes and Contests: What You Need to Know,” Lawyer Monthly, July 2014
- Author, “When the Best Defense Is a Proactive Offense: How Athletes Can Protect Their Online Reputation,” Sports Litigation Alert, June 2012
- Author, “Have You Embraced the New e-Discovery Rules or Are You Just Hoping You Won’t Have to Deal with Them?” Nevada Lawyer, June 2009
- Author, “The Impact of the Worlds.com v. NCSoft Case,” iGaming Business Magazine, March/April 2009