Intellectual Property Protection and Exploitation for Creative Class
Paul is actively involved in the protection and enforcement of the rights of creators, writers, artists, photographers, film and TV producers and musicians.
Paul is a leading art lawyer and trusted advisor to artists, public/ private galleries and museums, auction-houses, philanthropists, and collectors on a variety of issues, transactions and disputes that arise in the art world.
New TechnologiesAdvice and Counselling in emerging Web 3.0 platforms, NFTs and the Metaverse.
As a registered trademark agent, he oversees a large portfolio of international trademarks and domestic branding and licensing for clients in advertising, fashion, creative industries and for hospitality businesses and franchises.
University of TorontoB.A. (Hons), 1986
Osgoode Hall Law SchoolLL.B., 1991
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- ORT Toronto Gala 2015 Honouree
- AA Bronson
- ADG IP Inc./ Drake
- Art Gallery of Ontario
- Douglas Coupland
- Tristan Eaton
- Advising new NFT platforms is securing, licensing and protecting rights
- Represented a leading artists’ estate in international dispute with National Gallery over display of controversial art;
- Developed a new copyright policy for a major museum’s online and public photography guidelines;
- Advised estate of a major hip-hop artist in royalty/ insolvency matter;
- Acted on behalf of a major recording artist in connection with claim against former manager;
- Successfully negotiated settlements of copyright infringements of art works by a top fashion label and against a major television studio;
- Worldwide branding for cannabis companies;
- Negotiated significant public-art commissions on behalf of artists with municipalities and real estate developers;
- Counsel to collectors in art disputes involving forgeries and issues with authenticity;
- Oversaw numerous copyright disputes involving unauthorized use of works of internationally acclaimed and local artists.
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- The Copyright Society
- ABA – Entertainment section
- CBA – Entertainment section
- Board Chairman/ President- Toronto Biennial of Art
- Past Board Member- The PowerPlant Gallery
- Past Board Member- Contact Photography Festival
- Advisor for several non-profit arts organizations
- Author, "Warhol and Prince: Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists…Litigate,” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, June 2023
- Co-Author, “Good News for Creators: Canadian Extends Copyright Term," Dickinson Wright All Things Canada Blog, January 2023
- Co-Author, “Good News for Creators: Canadian Extends Copyright Term," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, Jan 2023
- Author, "Art Law: Cases and Controversies," LexisNexis, February 2022
- Co-Author, "What You Need To Know: Intellectual Property and Non-Fungible Tokens," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2021
- Co-Author, “Business Interruption Insurance and COVID-19 in Ontario,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- Author "Copyright Protection in Canada for Artists," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, February 2016