Drawing on his considerable experience, Daniel is known for achieving results for his clients without the need for lengthy and expensive litigation. He regularly appears before all levels of court and various administrative tribunals. He has acted as counsel in many mediations, arbitrations, and negotiated settlements, recognizing that the best resolution often involves creative and practical solutions.
His practice extends to construction litigation, construction lien work for developers and individuals, and significant debt collection matters, including commercial rent arrears and mortgage enforcement work. Daniel also has experience with shareholder disputes, securities litigation, and regulatory work, such as disputes involving mergers and acquisitions, plans of arrangements, hostile take-overs, proxy battles, Securities Act applications, broker negligence, and shareholder disputes.
Recognized by Lexology as a legal influencer for his thought leadership in dispute resolution in Canada, Daniel is a frequent contributor to Law Times, Canadian Lawyer Magazine, Precedent Magazine, and The Advocates Journal. He publishes a regular column on RENX.ca, Canada’s largest real estate news exchange, called The Property Law Hub, where he writes about developments in real estate law and litigation. Daniel is a member of the Board of Directors of the Peel Law Association and editor-in-chief of their Peel Briefs.
A volunteer with the Law Society’s Coach and Advisor Network and Member Assistance programs, Daniel offers career support services to Ontario lawyers who struggle with mental health and addiction issues. Furthermore, he serves as Vice Chair on the board of directors of Wellesley Central Residences Inc., an organization that provides safe, affordable housing for the elderly and people living with HIV/AIDS.
Carleton UniversityB.A., Humanities, 2002
University of British ColumbiaM.J., 2005
Osgood Hall Law School, York UniversityJ.D., 2009
• Representing multiple defendants in a precedent-setting summary judgment decision for the successful dismissal of a C$37 million claim pertaining to a series of complex real estate transactions.
• Represented multiple financial institutions in hundreds of complex mortgage enforcement proceedings before the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Appeal.
• Member, Canadian Bar Association
• Member, Advocates Society
• Director, Peel Law Association
• Editor, Peel Briefs, Peel Law Association
• Columnist, Canadian Lawyer Magazine
• Columnist, Precedent Magazine
• Columnist, Real Estate News EXchange (RENX.ca)
• Volunteer for CAN (Coach and Advisor Network) Coach, Law Society of Ontario
Daniel frequently publishes articles in the Canadian Lawyer Magazine, Real Estate News EXchange (RENX.ca), and Precedent Magazine. Click on the following links to keep up-to-date with his articles on practical legal career advice, litigation issues, and the latest developments in real estate law: