Martindale-Hubbell AV rated attorney with extensive experience in state, federal, and appellate courts, representing clients throughout all stages of civil and commercial litigation matters, including defending employers in statutory, common law, and contractual employment related claims; defending insurers in bad faith claims and coverage disputes; defending manufacturers in products liability actions; and representing companies and individuals in breach of contract, copyright infringement, and collection actions, as well as, business disputes.
Middle Tennessee State UniversityB.S., 1995
University of Tennessee College of LawJ.D., 2000
- Member, Moot Court Board, 1999-2000
- Member, ATLA Trial Team, 1999-2000
- Certificate of Academic Excellence in Trial Practice, 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Rated
Successfully defended nationwide class action lawsuit of dock workers and “yard switchers” where district and appellate courts agreed that because workers ’ job duties affected public safety, they fell under the FLSA’s Motor Carrier Act exemption and were not entitled to receive overtime pay.
Prevailed in the Tennessee Court of Appeals for an insurance company in a case of first impression finding that Tennessee’s sinkhole statute does not require insurers to warn homeowners of the availability of such coverage.
Obtained dismissal of $30 million case against motor speedway in case involving allegations of serious personal injury and severe emotional injury.
Successfully defended trucking company and truck driver in jury trial regarding trucking accident case.
Represent international automobile seat manufacturing company in $35 million case for alleged seat failure.
Represent Fortune 1000 financial services company in case involving credit card transactions by merchant.
Legal commentator for Oxygen Network’s Snapped and Investigation Discovery’s Sins & Secrets.
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Graduate
- Tennessee Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
- Nashville Bar Association Pro Bono Program
- Phi Alpha Delta
Author, “DOL Withdraws Trump-Era Independent Contractor Rule,” Dickinson Wright All Things HR Blog, June 2021
Speaker, “If They Leave: How to Protect Trade Secrets and Enforce Restrictive Covenants,” Middle and West Tennessee Chapters of the Association of Corporate Counsel Seminars, March & April, 2018
- Author, “3 Steps to Protect Trade Secrets Under the DTSA,” Inside Counsel, March 21, 2017
- Author, “How to Draft a Non-Compete Agreement That’s Actually Enforceable,” Entrepreneur, May 17, 2016
- Speaker, So You Think You’ve Settled? Settling Commercial Disputes, Defense Research Institute Business Litigation Seminar (May 2016)
- Author, “Craft Non-Competes That Work For Employers, Employees,” The Tennessean, September 25, 2015
- Co-editor, Dickinson Wright Tennessee Insurance Legal News newsletter
- Co-speaker, Overview of Legal Concerns of Small Business Owners, National Association of Women Business Owners, Nashville Chapter (June 2011)
- Co-speaker, Presented mock trial involving direct and cross examination of experts, International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals 2011 Forensic Conference
- Co-speaker, Advanced Expert Testimony, International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals 2010 Forensic Conference
- Co-speaker, Testify With Confidence: Giving and Defending Expert Opinions, International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals 2009 Forensic Conference