Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Effective November, 2016, Chinese nationals, including nationals from People’s Republic of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau will be required to use an on-line enrollment system, referred to as EVUS to update biographic information if they are holding a 10-year B-1/B-2 or B-2 visitor’s visa in order to be permitted to enter the U.S. EVUS is a separate requirement from obtaining a B-1/B-2 or B-2 visa. Information required to update EVUS will include: holder’s name, birth date, and passport information as well as other biographical and employment information.
Friends, relatives or travel industry professionals, or another third party may submit the required information to EVUS on the traveler’s behalf as well as pay the related fees; however, the traveler is responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the information submitted to EVUS.
The new requirement goes hand-in-hand with the Chinese and U.S. government’s reciprocal arrangement to issue visitors’ visas with 10-year validity periods so long as travelers periodically update biographic information in an on-line format. At present, only Chinese nationals will be required to participate in EVUS, but the U.S. expects that this requirement may be applied to nationals of additional countries in the future.
Travelers holding a 10-year B-1/B-2 or B-2 visa will begin using the new system in November. Before that date, travelers holding a 10-year B-1/B-2 or B-2 visa may travel to the U.S. without any further action. Any traveler holding a 10-year B-1/B-2 or B-2 visa will need to participate, regardless of whether the visa was issued before or after November, 2016. Enrollment in EVUS for all applicants will remain valid for two years or until the traveler’s visa or passport expires, whichever comes first, or in the case where the traveler obtains a new passport. Visa holders will then need to update their information in EVUS before traveling to the U.S. again.
The most up-to-date information can be found on www.cbp.gov/EVUS, and travelers are urged to monitor the website for the most current information. There will be a monitoring fee (not yet determined) to enroll in EVUS which will be used to cover the cost of running the system. Information will be required in English, but the website will be in both English and Mandarin Chinese.
This client alert is published by Dickinson Wright PLLC to inform our clients and friends of important developments in the field of immigration. The content is informational only and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We encourage you to consult a Dickinson Wright attorney if you have specific questions or concerns relating to any of the topics covered here.
DW Immigration: Global Mobility with a Personal Touch!
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Elise S. Levasseur is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. She can be reached at 248.433.7520 or email@example.com.
Christian S. Allen is Of Counsel in Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. He can be reached at 248.433.7299 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lisa D. Duran is a Member in Dickinson Wright’s Phoenix office. She can be reached at 602.285.503d2 or email@example.com.
Suzanne K. Sukkar is Of Counsel in Dickinson Wright’s Ann Arbor office. She can be reached at 734.623.1694 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kevin J. Weber is a Partner in Dickinson Wright’s Toronto office. He can be reached at 416.367.0899 or email@example.com.
If you would like a printable version of immigration client alert, click here.
- Industry Alerts Supreme Court Permits Narrow Travel and Refugee Ban on Trump’s Executive Orders
- Industry Alerts GOES Website Goes Away…..October 1, Trusted Travelers Take Note
- Industry Alerts In-Person Interviews to be conducted for Employment-Based Adjustment of Status Applicants
- September 20, 2023 In the News Five Dickinson Wright Attorneys Named 2023 Texas Super Lawyers
- August 10, 2023 In the News Suzanne Sukkar Named to Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2023 Influential Women of Law
- June 1, 2023 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2023 Chambers USA Guide; 43 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- May 2023 Industry Alerts 更新情報：Form I-9のリモートフレキシビリティ制度が2023年7月31日に終了／対面での審査を8月30日までに実施する必要－その理由は？
- May 19, 2023 In the News Kathleen Campbell Walker Named to the 2023 Lawdragon 100 Leading Immigration Lawyers Guide
- March 30, 2023 Blogs 州の給与透明化法－PERMの求人活動を実施する前に 雇用主が確認すべき5つの問題 | State Pay Transparency Laws: 5 Questions Employers Must Ask Before Starting A PERM Recruitment Campaign