Scot has extensive experience in corporate, mergers and acquisitions and tax law. His clients rely on him to advise them with respect to their complex financial transactions as well as serving as their outside general counsel. Scot provides proactive advice with respect to sensitive management matters, litigation management, day to day transactional needs and objective assessments for the development of successful business strategies.
Scot has served as lead counsel in numerous mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, private offerings, venture capital financings, mezzanine debt offerings, divestures and other related transactions, with an emphasis in the following business sectors:
- Dental Services (DSO)
- Assisted Living
- Legalized Marijuana (Growth, Production and Sales)
- Commercial Transportation
- Healthcare Consulting
- Precious Metal Refinement
- Charter School
- Industrial Manufacturing
Franciscan UniversityB.S., 1994
Capital University Law SchoolJ.D., 1997
- Order of the Curie
Capital UniversityLL.M., Taxation, 1997
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Cannabis, Eastern US – Nationwide, 2023
- Global Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers Directory, 2022
- The Legal 500 United States
- Cannabis, 2023
- Mergers & Acquisitions - Corporate and Commercial, 2023
- Recommended Lawyer, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2024
- Tax Law, 2013 - 2024
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent® rating
- Ohio Super Lawyers® Magazine
- "Rising Star," Tax Law, 2005-2012
- Quantum Health
- Lawson Financial Corporation
- Equity Velocity Funds
- Chancellor Health Partners
- North American Dental Group
- Ohio Precious Metals, LLC
- Mo Vaughn Enterprises
- Straine Consulting
- Signature Smiles
- One Buffalo Dental Group
Serves as lead counsel to a number of DSO organizations regarding formation, structuring, credentialing, acquisition and other general matters.
Serves as lead counsel to various private equity funds regarding fund formation, structuring, tax issues, acquisitions and dispositions.
Serves as lead counsel to a number of privately held companies with respect to the implementation and structuring of tax free mergers, divestures, spin-offs, split offs, loan syndications, mezzanine debt, venture capital needs and other related financing transactions.
Counsel to high net worth families in regards to their private held companies in connection with succession and exit strategy planning and wealth transfer techniques.
Underwriter’s counsel for numerous municipal bond issuances in the assisted living and chart school industry.
Represented LivFree Wellness in its public strategic transaction with AYR Strategies (formerly Cannabis Strategies Acquisition Corporation).
Represented Common Citizen as outside company counsel, including assistance in a strategic reorganization and subsequent commercial relationship with institutional debt financing sources.
Represented 3 separate Michigan-based vertically-integrated operators with strategic reorganizations and institutional funding.
Represented international cannabis private equity fund in acquiring a minority interest in a CBD cosmetics manufacturer.
Represented Canadian public company in connection with rollout of CBD topical kiosks in US jurisdictions.
Represented Canadian public company / US multi-state operator with acquisitions in Nevada and Ohio.
Represented LA-based cultivation authorities with seed funding, as well as successful cannabis strain/cultivar patent issuance.
Representing minority-owned business in connection with international joint venture for cannabis operations in New Jersey.
Representing Ohio-based biosynthetics developer with yeast-based cannabinoid platform buildout.
Representing multi-state operator in connection with international joint venture for cannabis operations in Florida.
Representing high-net worth founders with celebrity-branded cannabis lounges in selected adult-use jurisdictions.
Representing pre-IPO vertically-integrated hemp / CBD operator with shipping regulatory compliance.
Representing US cannabis REIT as primary deal counsel for new $350m fund.
- Columbus Bar Association
- Association of Dental Support Organizations
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Pickerington Youth Athletic Association Coach
- Panelist, “Buy-Side,” Navigating M&A Uncertainty, Smart Business Dealmakers Conference, September 2023
- Speaker, "The Opportunities for the Solo and Group Practice in the Current Dental Marketplace," ThriveLive 2023, May 2023
- Co-Host, "Fireside," Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference, September 2022
- Panelist, "Buying a Business," Smart Business Dealmakers Conference, The M&A Boom: How Long Can It Last?, September 2022
- Author, "Private Equity in Health Care: Answers to Industry Questions," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, December 2021
- Presenter “Private Equity in Healthcare - Answers to Industry Questions “ Dickinson Wright Annual Health Law Summit, November 2021
- Moderator, Navigating the Complexities of Today’s M&A Environment, Smart Business Dealmakers Conference Columbus, September 2021
- Presenter, “The Highs and Lows of Cannabis Investor Due Diligence,” Lido Consulting’s 7th Annual Due Diligence in Wealth Management Virtual Event, April 2021
- Guest Speaker, Elevate Your Grind Podcast, February 2021
- Speaker “2021 Cannabis Investing Snapshot” February 2021
- Panelist, Risk Assessment & Risk Analysis Before Investing, Cannabis Business Summit, November 2020
- Guest Speaker, The Green Peak Podcast, CannabisRadio.com, September 2020
- Speaker, Tales From the Sell-Side: A View from the Trenches and what to Include in your Company's Pandemic Plan | Smart Business Dealmakers Conference (September 2020)
- How the Coronavirus Pandemic has Impacted M&A Activity, and where CEOs Should be Focusing Their Attention | Smart Business Dealmakers Podcast (June 2020)
- Author, "The Crisis Lurking Within: Force Majeure and the Coronavirus," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Finding Unicorns: Investor Due Diligence & Underwriting Best Practices When Evaluating Deals | Panelist, Cannavest East, Boston (February 2020)
- Blowing Away The Smoke: Financial Opportunities In Marijuana/Hemp Real Estate Deals | Panelist, International Council of Shopping Centers, U.S. Law Conference, San Diego (October 2019)
- Buying Faster Growth: Best Practices And Pitfalls | Moderator, Smart Business Dealmakers Conference Columbus (September 2019)
- Panelist, "Investment Opportunities: A Look at Private Equity, Venture Capital, Real Estate, ETF & SPAC Investing," CannaVest West (July 2019)
- Key Speaker, IC3 Conference (October 2018)
- Moderator, "A Deep Dive on the Sell Side," Aspire Columbus (September 2018)