Michigan State UniversityB.A., 2007
- With High Honors
University of Michigan Law SchoolJ.D., 2010
- With Honors
- Book Award, Legal Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Scholarly Writing Award
- Contributing Editor, Michigan Journal of Law Reform
- Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star"
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms
- City of Hudsonville
- City of Lansing
- City of Lowell
- City of Rockford
- CorePointe Insurance Company
- Michigan's Largest Health Care Company and Insurance Subsidiaries
- MSU Foundation
- MTL Insurance Company
- Pekin Insurance Company
- Webber Township
Represented cities, townships, and counties in dozens of real property and other tax appeals before the Michigan Tax Tribunal, Michigan Court of Appeals, and Michigan Supreme Court, including in multiple trials before the Tribunal. Properties at issue have included commercial, industrial, and residential properties located throughout the state.
Prevailed before the Tribunal in defending roll values for 50+ tenant commercial property where more than $20 million in true cash value was at issue.
Successfully defended municipal uncapping and exemption decisions in appellate proceedings concerning first impression interpretations of amended sections of GPTA.
Counseled a variety of municipal subdivisions (including election officials and municipal electrical utilities) on constitutional and regulatory matters.
Served as litigation counsel to state governmental entities in constitutional and other matters relating to elections, insurance regulation, and other matters.
Counseled local and state governmental entities on FOIA and Open Meetings Act requirements and served as litigation counsel in disputes concerning same.
On behalf of multiple insurance and financial industry clients, drafted and otherwise provided legal consultation with respect to legislative amendments successfully made to the Michigan Insurance Code and other insurance laws.
Served as regulatory counsel to insurance industry financing entity regarding application of receivership laws to various financing instruments and development of model laws by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Successfully represented client in obtaining regulatory authorization for acquisition of a Michigan domiciled insurance company and in the development and filing of initial products with state regulators.
Assisted numerous insurance company clients in preparation of required state regulatory filings, including, but not limited to, prior notice filings under the Michigan Insurance Code’s provisions governing insurance holding companies and amendments to insurers’ corporate organizing documents.
Provided advice to insurance and reinsurance affiliates regarding scope and application of federal and state antitrust laws with respect to the development and issuance of dual policies and product development.
Currently representing commercial entities and individuals in a wide variety of litigation matters pending in federal and state courts and before the Michigan Administrative Hearing System.
- Member, State Bar of Michigan, Administrative & Regulatory Law and Insurance & Indemnity Law Sections
- Member, Society for Evolutionary Analysis in Law
- Business Interruption Insurance, Captives, and Coronavirus, Dickinson Wright Webinar, April 2020
- Who is the Beneficiary? The Answer May Depend on Whether State Law or ERISA Applies, 25 Mich. L. W. 375 (February 2011) (with Kimberly J. Ruppel).
- The "Enlightened Barbarity" of Inclusive Fitness and Wrongful Death: Biological Justifications for an Investment Theory of Loss in Wycko v. Gnodtke, 43 U. Mich. J.L. Reform 497 (2010).
- Integrating Kin Selection Theory and Corrective Justice, Presentation at Society of Evolutionary Analysis and Law Annual Conference, College of William and Mary, April 10, 2010.
- The Furloughing of Public Sector Employees, 27(4) Ill. Pub. Em. Rel. Rep. (Winter 2010).