University of MichiganB.A., 1990
Cardozo School of Law (Yeshiva University)J.D., 1998
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
- AM Best Directory
- Recommended Insurance Attorneys and Adjusters
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Star," 2008
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina
- Companion Life Insurance Company
- Covenant Medical Center, Inc.
- Continental Insurance Company
- Dearborn National Life Insurance Company
- The Dow Chemical Company
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
- Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Company
- Ford Motor Company
- Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
- International Medical Clinic
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Lawrence Technological University
- MassMutual Life Insurance Company
- Mott Community College
- The Hartford
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- William Beaumont Hospital
Commercial litigator with experience in class actions, electronic discovery, ERISA, probate and healthcare disputes.
Co-lead counsel for charter school in a million dollar contract dispute pending before the American Arbitration Association.
Co-lead discovery counsel for Ford Motor Company in a multi-billion dollar ERISA stock drop putative class action brought by 401k plan participants.
Counsel healthcare clients involved in governmental agency investigations related to Anti-Kickback, Stark and False Claims allegations.
Lead counsel for IndyMac Bank in a jury trial in Oakland County Circuit Court involving claims that a negligent real estate appraiser was partly responsible for the bank's damages arising from a mortgage default.
Successfully defended Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada against an appeal to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals involving whether the "Safe Harbor" regulatory exemption precluded the application of ERISA to an employer provided disability insurance policy.
Represented Michigan’s largest health care company and insurance subsidiaries as part of the discovery team in a ten million dollar breach of contract and tortious interference litigation brought by a physical therapy provider group.
Co-lead counsel for a specialty film manufacturer in a fifty million dollar breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secret litigation.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in an ERISA claim involving issues of insurance coverage, employment discrimination, negligence and fiduciary duties.
Multiple successful representations of non-profit entities involving recovery of charitable gifts in disputes over donor mental capacity or undue influence.
Successfully represented fiduciaries and individuals in disputed probate and Trust litigation proceedings involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, undue influence and self-dealing.
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Member
- Steeplechase Condominium Homeowner’s Association, Board of Directors
- Children's Advocacy Centers of Michigan
- Board of Directors
Speaker, “Telemedicine Laws: Do they Apply and How to Comply,” Lorman Educational Services Live Webinar, October 2023
Author, "FALSE CLAIMS ACT “KNOWLEDGE” IS A SUBJECTIVE STANDARD," Dickinson Wright Healthcare Blog, August 2023
Author, “DEA Reverses Course and Extends Telehealth Prescriptions of Controlled Substances,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2023
Featured in Newsweek article "Florida Nursing Diploma Scandal Could See Thousands of Workers Unemployed." February 27, 2023
Co-Author, “Proposed Rules Could Mean The End Of Non-Compete Agreements,” Healthcare Michigan, Feb 2023
Speaker, “How Will Telehealth Evolve as the Pandemic (Hopefully) Draws to a Close?” Webinar, October 2022
Author, "Telehealth Update: Telehealth Waivers Post-PHE and Fraud and Abuse," Healthcare Michigan, Volume 39, Number 10, October 2022
Speaker, "Post-Pandemic HIPAA Guidelines for Audio-Only Telehealth," Dickinson Wright, July 2022
Speaker, "DOJ Antitrust Efforts," Dickinson Wright Health Care Webinar Series, June 2022
Author, "Post-Pandemic Guidelines for HIPAA and Audio-Only Telehealth," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, June 2022
Presenter, "Monopoly Money: Do Non-Compete Agreements Violate Antitrust Laws and if so, How?," Dickinson Wright Health Care Webinar Series, June 2022
Author, "Recent Guidance on Enforceability of Physician Non-Competes," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, April 2022
Author, "Telehealth Fraud Year in Review," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, March 2022
Co-Author, "Physician Non-Compete Agreements: What You Should Know," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, February 2022
Author, "Telehealth Trends to Watch," Healthcare Michigan, Volume 38, Number 12, December 2021
Presenter “What’s New in Telehealth?” Dickinson Wright Annual Health Law Summit, November 2021
Presenter “Physician Non-Compete Agreements: What You Should Know “ Dickinson Wright Annual Health Law Summit, November 2021
Author, "Telehealth Fraud Enforcement Activity," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, October 2021
Author, Telehealth The New Frontier,” In-House Defense Quarterly, June 2021
Presenter, “Telehealth – The New Frontier,” Defense Research Institute’s Life, Health, Disability, and ERISA Virtual Seminar, April 2021
Author, “Telehealth – Healthcare At A Social Distance,” Healthcare Michigan, May 2020.
- Interviewed, “Be careful with HIPAA under OCR’s ‘good faith’ telehealth provision; you may face future risk.” Part B News, April 2020.
- Author, "CARES Act Expands Funding and Medicare Coverage for Telehealth Services," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, April 2020
- Author, "Temporary Relaxation of Supervision and Credential Requirements for Healthcare Providers," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, March 2020
- Author, “Update On Rapidly Changing Telehealth Developments,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, March 2020
- Introducing Evidence at Trial, (Institute of Continuing Legal Education), contributing editor, July 2019 Update
- Author, “HIPAA and the Opioid Crisis,” Healthcare Michigan, August 2018
- Author, “Denial Of Disability Benefits Upheld,” ERISA Update Vol.12, Issue 3, DRI ERISA Report, December 2017
- Author, “Rejection of ‘Objective Evidence’ of Disability as Defined by The Plan Was Arbitrary and Capricious,” ERISA Update Vol.12, Issue 2, DRI ERISA Report, September 2017
- Author, “Health System Paid $2.4 Million Settlement After Identification in a Press Release of a Patient Who Was Engaged in Fraud,” DW Health Care Blog, June 1, 2017.
- Co-author, “Michigan Supreme Court Holds That An Insurer’s Untimely Payment Of Underinsured Motorist Benefits Is Subject To Penalty Interest Even If Reasonably In Dispute,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2017
- Presenter, "Are You HIPAA-notized Yet?," Dickinson Wright Healthcare Seminar, Detroit and Grand Rapids, September 2014
- Presenter, American Conference Institute’s 14th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, January 2012
- Contributing Author, State Bar of Michigan Journal of Insurance & Indemnity Law, "ERISA Decisions of Interest"
- Co-author, "The Importance of Executing an Estate Plan," DRI Sharing Success Newsletter, May 2012, Vol.2, Issue 1.
- Presenter, Dickinson Wright Sunrise Seminar on Health Care Reform, June 2010