Andrea has over fifteen years of developing and managing domestic and international patent portfolios for startup companies, midsized companies, and Fortune 500 companies. She enjoys working with innovative companies, including in the fashion industry, and assisting clients in all aspects of their businesses.
Andrea practices all aspects of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and copyrights. Andrea’s primary focus is patent prosecution in the areas of medical devices, computer science, and mechanical and electrical technologies. She also provides her clients with patentability and clearance opinions and assists them in combating counterfeiters.
Andrea specializes in international prosecution of patents and trademarks, including Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) applications before the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), international patent design applications before the Hague, and international trademark applications via the Madrid Protocol. She works with foreign associates on patent and trademark prosecution in over 50 countries.
Andrea handles intellectual property litigation, including Inter Partes Review (IPR) and Ex Parte Reexamination (EPR) proceedings.
University of MichiganComputer Engineering
University of WisconsinB.S., Biomedical Engineering
- Dean’s List
Marquette University Law SchoolJ.D.
- Senior Articles Editor for the Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
- Graduated with Distinction for Pro Bono Work
- Best Lawyers in America
- "Ones to Watch" - Patent Law 2021
- Hi-Rez Studios, Inc.
The client designed a new product followed by counterfeiters selling knock-off products online. Andrea devised a strategy to quickly obtain enforceable intellectual property rights for use in take-down notices. She also used the client’s registrations to invalidate the counterfeiter’s subsequent patents.
Advised an innovative corporation on obtaining expedited patent protect worldwide, working to resolve third-party companies selling knock-off products on various websites, resulting in removing the infringing companies’ products from the websites and allowing the client to exclusively sell its products online.
Successfully represented a fashion company in negotiating with a producer to remove the client’s podcasts from various third-party websites and obtaining a registered trademark to remove additional infringing links.
Prepared Ex Parte Reexaminations (EPR) to invalidate patents asserted against our client, which resulted in the invalidation and narrowing of the plaintiff’s patent claims and settling the litigation case.
Represented a multi-million dollar company in an intellectual property litigation case to successfully dismiss the counterclaims asserted against our client.
Supervised the acquisition of the international intellectual property portfolio of an automotive company and developed strategies to minimize the costs of the acquired rights.
Negotiated a settlement agreement involving an unpaid rental of a business property, which was resolved favorably for the client without having to engage in litigation.
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Notary Public, Oakland County
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association, CLE Chair
- Federal Bar Association
- The Oakland County Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Detroit Expungement Clinic
- Wills for Heroes
- Mentor for the Insight Program
- Junior Achievement Day
- Volleyball Coach
- Danskin Triathlon
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Eastern District of Michigan
- M&A Group Teleconference, Lawyers Associated Worldwide, September 2020
- "How to Grow and Protect Your Business In the Virtual World," Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce/Alpha Group, September 2020
- "Business Deals During the Crisis: Be Careful," The Feldman Report, August 2020
- "Closing a Business Deal Remotely? Know the Risk," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, August 2020
- Co-Author, “Religious Institutions v. COVID-19: Why Religious Institutions Should Think Twice Before Live Streaming,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- "Andrea Arndt, Acclaimed Patent Attorney Explains the Slipperiest Legal Slopes in Fashion," FashionCast, February 2020
- “The Scope of European Design Patent Rights,” January 2019
- "Issue Spotting Your Client's IP Issues" at the 11th Annual State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyer's Summit, June 2018
- “USPTO Patent Invalidation Mechanisms: What is the Best Option for Your Client?” November 2017
- “Don’t Be Legally Naked – Protect Your Designs” at Phoenix Fashion Week, October 2017
- “Global Patent Filing Strategy,” May 2017