Kimberly Ruppel is a Member of Dickinson Wright’s Troy office. For over 19 years, Kim has provided counsel and representation to clients in a range of commercial and business disputes and litigation. Known as a trusted advisor with a skill for developing efficient and cost-sensitive solutions, Kim represents clients in matters related to healthcare disputes and litigation, HIPAA compliance, governmental investigations, ERISA and insurance claims and coverage issues, probate, fiduciary and trust litigation, and class actions in state and Federal courts.
University of MichiganB.A., 1990
Cardozo School of Law (Yeshiva University)J.D., 1998
- AM Best Directory of Recommended Insurance Attorneys and Adjustors
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2008
- Aetna Life Insurance Company
- AIG/American General
- AON Corporation
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of South Carolina
- Companion Life Insurance Company
- Continental Insurance Company
- Dearborn National Life Insurance Company
- The Dow Chemical Company
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Enbridge Energy, Limited Partnership
- Fidelity & Guaranty Life Insurance Company
- Ford Motor Company
- Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- MassMutual Life Insurance Company
- Michigan's Largest Health Care Company and Insurance Subsidiaries
- Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
- The Hartford
- Wells Fargo Bank, N.A.
- William Beaumont Hospital
Commercial litigator with experience in class actions, electronic discovery, ERISA, probate and healthcare disputes.
Co-lead counsel for charter school in a million dollar contract dispute pending before the American Arbitration Association.
Co-lead discovery counsel for Ford Motor Company in a multi-billion dollar ERISA stock drop putative class action brought by 401k plan participants.
Lead counsel for IndyMac Bank in a jury trial in Oakland County Circuit Court involving claims that a negligent real estate appraiser was partly responsible for the bank's damages arising from a mortgage default.
Successfully defended Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada against an appeal to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals involving whether the "Safe Harbor" regulatory exemption precluded the application of ERISA to an employer provided disability insurance policy.
Represented Michigan’s largest health care company and insurance subsidiaries as part of the discovery team in a ten million dollar breach of contract and tortious interference litigation brought by a physical therapy provider group.
Co-lead counsel for a specialty film manufacturer in a fifty million dollar breach of contract and misappropriation of trade secret litigation.
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company in an ERISA claim involving issues of insurance coverage, employment discrimination, negligence and fiduciary duties.
Successfully represented a non-profit medical institution in a charitable Trust matter involving a disputed gift.
Successfully represented fiduciaries and individuals in disputed probate and Trust litigation proceedings involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty, undue influence and self-dealing.
- Manager, Dickinson Wright Insurance Task Force
- Defense Research Institute; ERISA, Life, Health & Disability Committee
- Author, “Denial Of Disability Benefits Upheld,” ERISA Update Vol.12, Issue 3, DRI ERISA Report, December 2017
- Author, “Rejection of ‘Objective Evidence’ of Disability as Defined by The Plan Was Arbitrary and Capricious,” ERISA Update Vol.12, Issue 2, DRI ERISA Report, September 2017
- Author, “Health System Paid $2.4 Million Settlement After Identification in a Press Release of a Patient Who Was Engaged in Fraud,” DW Health Care Blog, June 1, 2017.
- Co-author, “Michigan Supreme Court Holds That An Insurer’s Untimely Payment Of Underinsured Motorist Benefits Is Subject To Penalty Interest Even If Reasonably In Dispute,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, May 2017
- Presenter, "Are You HIPAA-notized Yet?," Dickinson Wright Healthcare Seminar, Detroit and Grand Rapids, September 2014
- Presenter, American Conference Institute’s 14th National Advanced Forum on Litigating Disability Insurance Claims, January 2012
- Introducing Evidence at Trial, 3rd ed., (Institute of Continuing Legal Education), contributing editor, 2014
- Contributing Author, State Bar of Michigan Journal of Insurance & Indemnity Law, "ERISA Decisions of Interest"
- Co-author, "The Importance of Executing an Estate Plan," DRI Sharing Success Newsletter, May 2012, Vol.2, Issue 1.
- Presenter, Dickinson Wright Sunrise Seminar on Health Care Reform, June 2010