Kevin Doherty practices in the area of insurance regulation and captive insurance. He serves as President of the Tennessee Captive Insurance Association, Inc., and he helped to rewrite the captive insurance law in Tennessee in 2011. Since that time, Tennessee has formed more than 200 captives and more than 500 related cells (more than 700 risk bearing entities) and become one of the leading domestic domiciles for captives. Mr. Doherty also practices music and entertainment law and represents recording artists, songwriters, and record and music publishing companies in connection with music agreements.
Dickinson Wright was named “Law Firm of the Year” for 2020 by both Captive Review and Captive International in recognition of the firm’s Captive Insurance practice, of which Kevin is head.
Princeton UniversityA.B., 1982
- President of the Student Body
- Distinguished Military Graduate (Army ROTC Scholarship recipient)
Vanderbilt UniversityJ.D., 1985
- Patrick Wilson Scholar
- New York1986
- Drafted and filed a merits stage Amicus Brief, supported by nearly two dozen captive insurance organizations, with the U.S. Supreme Court in favor of CIC Services, LLC, a Knoxville, TN-based captive insurance manager, in its lawsuit challenging the validity of IRS Notice 2016-66. In May 2021, the Supreme Court decided in favor of CIC Services in a 9-0 vote, noting that the Anti-Injunction Act does not prevent taxpayers from challenging certain IRS notices in court even when there are tax penalties associated with violating those notices.
- Tennessee Captive Insurance Association, Inc. (TCIA), Chairman and President (2011 – present)
- International Center for Captive Insurance Education (ICCIE) – Instructor (2014 – present)
- Self-Insurance Institute of America, Inc. (SIIA) – Chair (2008 - 09) and member (2015 - present) of Alternative Risk Transfer / Captive Insurance Committee
- Georgia Captive Insurance Association, Inc. (GCIA), Founder, President and Board member (1998 – present)
- Operation Song, Board member (2018 – present)
- Our Place Nashville, Board member (2017 – present)
- Rotary Club of Nashville (downtown), member (2001 – present)
- Catholic Charities of Tennessee, Inc., Board member (2010 – 2016)
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) of Middle Tennessee, Board member (2001 – 2012) and Chair (2007-2008)
- "Business Interruption Insurance, Captives, and Coronavirus," Dickinson Wright Webinar, April 2020
- “Federal Legislative and Regulatory Update,” Tennessee Captive Insurance Association, Inc. (TCIA) Annual Conference, November 17, 2017, Nashville, Tennessee
- “Self-Procurement Taxes,” TCIA Summer Spotlight, June 8, 2016, Franklin, Tennessee
- “Captive Insurance Companies – Intersection of Risk and Treasury,” Association of Financial Planners (AFP) Annual Conference, October 25, 2016, Orlando, Florida
- “State of the Captive Market,” American Conference Institute (ACI) 4th Annual Advance Forum on Captive Insurance, May 2, 2016, New York
- International Center for Captive Insurance Educuation (ICCIE), Instructor on Ethics and Alternative Risk Financing Mechanisms, 2014 - present