David Becker, an intellectual property litigator, represents his clients in cases involving patent, trademark, and copyright infringement, false advertising claims, trade-secret disputes, and enforcing or, where necessary, avoiding non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. David’s clients include companies in a range of industries, from consumer product companies to national operators of government-sponsored managed-care organizations.
Though David is particularly adept at handling intellectual property matters for his clients, his practice is quite diverse; he has handled a broad range of complex commercial matters for clients and counsels them in matters where technology and people intersect. As a result, he represents clients in matters involving employment discrimination, trade secrets, corporate divorces, business torts, product liability, fraud, securities laws, healthcare payor/provider relationships, duties owed by fiduciaries, contracts, and real estate. He regularly represents clients before juries, judges and arbitrators and has represented clients in federal courts, state courts, and before government agencies including courts in Illinois, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Washington and Wisconsin, and the International Trade Commission.
DePaul University College of LawJ.D.
- Dean's Scholarship
- DePaul Law Review
- President, Student Bar Association
University of RochesterB.A.
- with honors
- Dean's List
- Certificate in International Relations
- New York
- Benchmark Litigation
- Future Stars, 2019- Present
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Rising Star, 2010-2015
- Acted as national coordinating counsel for payor-provider disputes for a national network of government-sponsored managed-care organizations.
- Represented consumer-product company in case involving trademark and copyright infringement claims and false advertising claims through a trial resulting in a favorable jury verdict.
- Represented consumer-product company in class-action litigation involving claims of false advertising.
- Represented a national university in trademark disputes.
- Lead trial counsel in ADEA collective action litigation for a global manufacturer resulting in entry of summary judgment on all claims of age discrimination.
- Second-chair trial counsel in patent infringement action before the International Trade Commission resulting in favorable settlement for supplier of automotive parts.
- Second-chair trial counsel in jury trial of claims for negligence and strict liability. Prepared and presented the client’s claim for damages resulting in a favorable $8 million judgment – the full amount sought.
- Represented global pharmaceutical-consulting company in enforcement actions against former employees regarding violations of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Member of trial team for a private equity client in the 13-day jury trial of its securities fraud claim, resulting in $5 million recovery for our client.
- Represented clients in age discrimination class action matters relating to use of temporary contract workers.
- Represented multinational consulting client in enforcement of non-competition agreements resulting in departing employee ceasing competition for duration of non-compete and payments of cash settlements.
- For a large national bank, prosecuted a claim against a software vendor for fraud in the sale and delivery of a software product leading to a $3.4 million recovery of licensing fees and other costs.
- Defended a foreign vodka manufacturing company in a trademark infringement claim resulting in settlement permitting clients to continue use of accused name.
- Represented client in litigation of false advertising claims against a competitor and defending against patent-infringement claims relating to windshield wiper blades.
- Defended owner of an NHRA Drag Racing team against hostile takeover suit by competing team owner.
- Represented home builders and commercial real estate developers in defense of foreclosure actions brought by banks seeking to obtain mortgaged property and collect on personal guaranties.
- Represented a publicly traded maker of automatic identification and data capture equipment through nationwide, multi-jurisdictional litigation against one of its largest competitors, securing favorable settlements in all matters.
- Represented a client in litigation to enforce patent rights relating to an extensive portfolio of radio-frequency identification (“RFID”) patents.
- Represented a client in litigation enforcing a patent portfolio covering the design and use of handheld computer devices.
- Oversaw national product liability for a national manufacturer of bikes and fitness equipment.
- American Bar Association
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Business Litigation Committee, Vice Chairman
- Corporate Counsel Committee, Vice Chairman
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Committee, Vice Chairman
- Scope and Correlation Committee, Member
- Finance Committee, Member
- Long-Range Planning Committee, Member
- Council Member, 2018-2022
- Technology and New Media Committee, Chairman, 2017-2019
- Intellectual Property Law Committee, Chairman, 2017-2018
- Corporate Counsel Committee, Chairman, 2016-2017
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- The John Marshall Law School Center for Real Estate Law
- Adjunct Faculty, "Real Estate Litigation," Spring 2015-2018 and Fall 2013
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal, Second, Third and Seventh Circuits
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- Panelist, “Outside The Scope: How to Survive and/or Conquer Corporate Representative Depositions and Notices in State and Federal Court,” TIPS/YLD Section Conference, American Bar Association, May 2023
- Panelist, "Understanding the intangible value of your innovations to strengthen the valuation of your start-up," What If You Were the Next Bleu-Blanc-Rouge Unicorn? Conference, December 2022
- Co-Presenter, "You Tried a Case During a Pandemic? How’d That Go???" Chicago Bar Association CLE Webinar, September 2021
- Panelist, "'No Sir! You Can't Steal My Clients! Or Maybe You Can...' Effective Strategies for Preparing, Negotiating, Litigating and Avoiding Restrictive Covenants,” ABA Webinar, November 2018
- Moderator, "Protecting Intellectual Property in the Legal Cannabis Industry," ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section, ABA Annual Meeting, August 2018
- Co-Presenter, "The Ostrich Syndrome: You Can't Avoid Intellectual Property Issues in Today's World," ABA Tort and Insurance Practice Section, ABA Annual Meeting, August 2015
- Co-Author, "Recent Developments in Business Litigation," ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal, 2014 and 2015
- Co-Presenter, "You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone," ALM Webinar, 2013