Andrea has over fifteen years of developing and managing global patent portfolios for startup companies, midsized companies, and Fortune 500 companies. She enjoys working with innovative enterprises, including in the consumer products industry, and assisting clients in all aspects of their businesses.
Andrea specializes in strategic management of the filing and prosecution of patents and trademarks worldwide. She works with foreign associates on patent and trademark prosecution and litigation in over 50 countries. Andrea also combats counterfeit goods through Cease & Desist letters, take-down procedures, and litigation. She assists clients in monetizing their patent portfolios and negotiates the intellectual property terms of complex agreements and licenses.
University of MichiganComputer Engineering
University of WisconsinB.S., Biomedical Engineering
- Dean’s List
Marquette University Law SchoolJ.D.
- Senior Articles Editor for the Marquette Intellectual Property Law Review
- Graduated with Distinction for Pro Bono Work
- The Legal 500 United States
- Intellectual Property - Patents, Licensing, 2023
- "Top Lawyers," 2023
- Super Lawyers
- "Texas Rising Stars," 2023
- Recognized on the Crain’s 2021 list of Notable Women in Law, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America®
- "Ones to Watch," Patent Law, 2021-2024
- Advised clients dealing with knock-offs of their products being manufactured and sold by online. Specifically, Andrea devised a strategy to quickly obtain enforceable intellectual property rights for use in take-down notices and temporary restraining order (TRO) proceedings, resulting in the removal of the knock-off products from the websites and the restoration of the clients’ exclusivity to sell their products online. I also used the clients’ patents to invalidate the counterfeiters’ subsequent patents.
- Successfully represented a fashion company in negotiating with a producer to remove the client’s podcasts from various third-party websites and obtaining a registered trademark to remove additional infringing links.
- Handled Ex Parte Reexaminations (EPR) and Inter Partes Review (IPR) proceedings to invalidate patents asserted against various clients, which resulted in the invalidation and narrowing of the plaintiffs’ patent claims and settling the litigation cases.
- Represented a multi-million dollar company in an intellectual property litigation case to successfully dismiss the counterclaims asserted against our client.
- Supervised the acquisition of the international intellectual property portfolio of an automotive company and developed strategies to minimize the costs of the acquired rights. Andrea also provided a clearance opinion for the client to rebrand and obtained international intellectual property protection to secure the client’s rights in its new brand.
- Represented a client pro bono to negotiate a settlement agreement involving an unpaid rental of a business property, which was resolved favorably for the client without having to engage in litigation.
- Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Notary Public, Oakland County
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association, CLE Chair
- Federal Bar Association
- The Oakland County Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Western District of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Co-Author, "You Received a "Notice of Data Security Incident" from the USPTO—Now What?,” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, June 2023
- Co-Author, "The Effect on Trade Secret Protection by the Federal Trade Commission’s Proposed Ban on Non-Compete Agreements,” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, April 2023
- “New USPTO Fee Schedule Reduces Costs for PCT Patent Filings and Small and Micro Entities” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, January 2023
- “IPR (Various Types) and Valuation of IPR,” University of Texas – Dallas, Entrepreneurial Finance Class, November 2022
- “History has its Eyes on The Door McAllen Church: Copyright Considerations for Religious and Non-Profit Institutions,” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, August 2022
- "Protecting Intellectual Property Throughout the Manufacturing Process,” Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, July 2022
- Presenter, "Dickinson Wright & Gevers Academy," April 2022
- Author, "Freedom to Operate Opinions: What Are They, and Why Are They Important?," Dickinson Wright Industry Alert, March 2022
- Presenter, "Drafting Patent Applications to Withstand Post-Grant Proceedings," Advanced Patent Law Institute, November 2021
- Co-Host, The ROCC Pod, 2021, 2022
- Author, "5 Steps to Protect Your Intellectual Property," Texas CEO Magazine, October 21, 2021
- Presenter, "Protect Your Brand," MPOWER, October 2021
- Presenter, “Cancer & the Law: an Attorney’s Role in the Cancer Journey,” Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, May 2021
- Interview, China-Made Fake N95 Masks are Flooding Market, Here's What to Look For, Fox 2 News, February 2021
- Interview on Counterfeit Products and COVID-19, WWJ News Radio 950, February 2021
- "New Stimulus Bill Creates Small Claims Copyright Court," Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, January 2021
- "The Surprising Scope of European Design Patent Rights," Dickinson Wright IP Brief Blog, December 2020
- M&A Group Teleconference, Lawyers Associated Worldwide, September 2020
- "How to Grow and Protect Your Business In the Virtual World," Royal Oak Chamber of Commerce/Alpha Group, September 2020
- "Business Deals During the Crisis: Be Careful," The Feldman Report, August 2020
- "Closing a Business Deal Remotely? Know the Risk," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, August 2020
- "Black Lives Matter Murals: Intellectual Property vs. Real Property Rights," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, July 2020; Featured in New Matter, Volume 45, Number4, Winter 2020
- Co-Author, “Religious Institutions v. COVID-19: Why Religious Institutions Should Think Twice Before Live Streaming,” Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- "Andrea Arndt, Acclaimed Patent Attorney Explains the Slipperiest Legal Slopes in Fashion," FashionCast, February 2020
- “The Scope of European Design Patent Rights,” January 2019
- "Issue Spotting Your Client's IP Issues" at the 11th Annual State Bar of Michigan Young Lawyer's Summit, June 2018
- “USPTO Patent Invalidation Mechanisms: What is the Best Option for Your Client?” November 2017
- “Don’t Be Legally Naked – Protect Your Designs” at Phoenix Fashion Week, October 2017
- “Global Patent Filing Strategy,” May 2017