Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
The Ohio General Assembly recently enacted Senate Bill 57 to account for the impacts of COVID-19 on real property valuations for the tax year 2020 (payable in 2021).
Under the new law, an eligible person may file a special 2020 valuation complaint with the relevant Board of Revision by alleging “with particularity” how COVID-19 and the corresponding public health orders caused a reduction in the true value of the property. Complaints may also request that the property be valued as of October 1, 2020, rather than the traditional tax lien date of January 1, 2020.
Eligibility to file a special valuation complaint extends to both property owners and tenants responsible for the taxes, and the multiple filing rule prohibiting more than one valuation complaint per three-year period is waived for 2020, 2021, and 2022.
The law offers a unique opportunity for commercial properties to reduce their tax bills; however, the window of time to act is short—complaints must be filed between July 26, 2021 and August 25, 2021.
Please contact our office as soon as possible if you would like to discuss whether pursuing a special valuation complaint may be beneficial to you.
- September 9, 2021 In the News Steve Glista Joins Dickinson Wright Grand Rapids Office
- July 16, 2021 In the News Ronald A. Damashek Named Finalist for Illinois Real Estate Journal’s 2021 Real Estate Lawyer of the Year
- June 14, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Recognized in Legal 500 United States 2021 Edition
- May 20, 2021 In the News Dickinson Wright Receives Top Rankings in 2021 Chambers USA Guide; 43 Attorneys Recognized as Leaders in their Fields
- September 24, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Ranked Number Two in Midwest Real Estate News “Best of the Best”
- June 16, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Recognized in Legal 500 United States 2020 Edition
- May 22, 2020 Industry Alerts CECRA Update | May 22, 2020
- April 30, 2020 Industry Alerts CMHC Comments on the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program
- April 27, 2020 Industry Alerts New Details about the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program and the Ontario-Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance Program