Tim Fitzgerald provides creative solutions and strategic legal advice to his clients to help them solve problems, structure transactions and plan for the future. His clients include individuals, business owners, closely-held and middle-market businesses, investors, real estate developers, banks and lending institutions, and not-for-profit and tax-exempt organizations.
As an attorney and Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Tim is able to work collaboratively with his clients to help them navigate day-to-day operational issues of running a business and making strategic decisions. He advises on contractual matters, employment issues, investment opportunities and a wide range of other business, tax and financial matters. Tim works closely with his business clients to identify and respond to ownership issues, develop and implement succession plans, and wrap personal estate planning into business objectives where appropriate. Additionally, Tim has unique experience working with socially-conscious entities, public benefit corporations, and other innovative, public-spirited businesses.
Tim also assists startup businesses get off the ground. He advises them on the type and structure of the entity to operate from, helps them prepare governing documents (operating agreements, bylaws, shareholder agreements etc.), raise capital through private placements and other SEC-regulated securities offerings, and assists with negotiation and drafting of contracts necessary to operate their businesses successfully.
Tim also has experience as a CPA/attorney representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), IRS Appeals, and state taxing authorities, and assists clients who may be under audit or seeking rulings from the IRS or other governmental agencies.
DePaul University College of LawJ.D., 2007
Marquette UniversityB.S., Accounting, 1999
- Chick Evans Scholarship Award Recipient
- Represented the buyer small minor league baseball franchise that will play in DuPage County, Illinois.
- Counseled real estate development group with the restructuring of its businesses and management team, drafted updates to organizational documents, negotiated a joint venture agreement to develop a $70M 200+ unit apartment complex and represented the joint venture to negotiate and close on a loan for the project.
- Represented the seller an alarm/security company, along with the sale of related real estate, to his partner/buyer.
- Successfully represented an IP company that was acquired by a Fortune 50 company.
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois CPA Society
- Social Enterprise Alliance