Michael (Mike) Hammer was elected Dickinson Wright’s Chief Executive Officer, effective January 1, 2019. As CEO, Mike oversees all aspects of the Firm’s professional service and business operations, and develops and implements the Firm’s strategic direction, working closely with his management group, elected governing board, practice leaders and administrative officers.
Mike is a 30-year veteran of the Firm, and previously served as Deputy CEO for ten years. As Deputy CEO, Mike oversaw the Firm’s lateral recruitment and office expansion efforts. Under his guidance, the Firm hired more than 250 lateral partners and opened 13 offices, including Texas, California, Nevada, Toronto, Tennessee, Ohio, and Florida. Through these efforts, he strengthened and broadened the Firm’s offerings to its clients. Mike also oversaw the Firm’s accounting and finance departments, handling the day-to-day financial management and operations of the Firm.
In his private practice, Mike’s clients rely on him to provide sound business advice across a broad range of areas, including outside general counsel services, commercial disputes and litigation, financial restructurings, bankruptcy, distressed acquisitions and sales, and wealth-protection solutions.
University of MichiganB.A., 1985
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJ.D., 1988
- cum laude
- Visteon Corporation
- Angstrom Automotive Group LLC
- AT&T Corporation
- Hanon Systems Corp.
Canyon Partners Real Estate LLC – Successfully obtained dismissal of a bankruptcy case filed by Packard Square allowing a State Court receiver to remain in possession to complete construction of a large mixed-use real estate project.
Visteon Corporation – Successfully obtained dismissal of lawsuit filed by Van Buren Township, Mich. seeking recovery of alleged bond repayment shortfall relating to construction of Visteon’s headquarters.
Automotive Suppliers – Prepared and negotiated numerous contracts with “new technology” automobile companies such as Tesla, Faraday Future, Telit, NextEV, Zoox, etc. Counseled and litigated numerous stop ship and contract dispute/termination cases, and negotiated and closed numerous asset sales.
Hanon Systems USA Corporation and Hanon Systems Corporation (Korea) – Handled numerous contract and supplier issues, corporate governance and financing matters.
Family Christian Stores – Represented 37 consignment vendors in bankruptcy of largest retailer of Christian books and merchandise.
Wells Fargo – Represented Wells Fargo in $60 million loan workout involving the largest law school in the country.
Visteon Corporation – Served as Special Debtor’s Counsel to Visteon in its bankruptcy case for supplier matters. Lead counsel on 215 preference cases.
Borders Group, Inc. – Served as Special Debtor’s Counsel to Borders in its bankruptcy case for supplier, vendor, and real estate matters.
General Motors Corporation – Represented substantial suppliers in GM’s bankruptcy case.
Chrysler LLC v. Plastech Engineered Products – Served as lead counsel in 12 state property repossessions involving $183M in tooling, efforts to resource $200M in business and subsequent lift stay and injunction trial in ensuing bankruptcy.
- CEO, Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Member, Dickinson Wright Management Group
- Past Board Member, Bankruptcy Law Section, National Federal Bar Association
- Mediator, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1997-present
- Past Co-Chair, FBA Bankruptcy Section, Eastern District of Michigan
- Board of Trustees, Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor, Mich. (2012-2017)
- Board of Directors, Barton Hills Country Club (2016-2019)
- Board President, HIV/AIDS Resource Center (HARC) (2008-2013)
- Author, Autonomous Vehicles: The Future Has Arrived in Michigan, Detroit Lawyer, March-April, 2017
- Speaker, ICLE’s 35th Annual Labor & Employment Law Institute – When Labor Law and Bankruptcy Intersect/Collective Bargaining Agreements/Retiree and Pension Benefits/Retention and Severance Plans, Detroit, Mich., April 30, 2010
- Speaker, FBA/Employment Law Seminar on current bankruptcy issues, Detroit, MI, May 14, 2009
- Co-moderator and organizer, FBA/TMA Spring Auto Conference, Detroit, Michigan, March 24, 2009
- Authored chapter, “Inside the Minds: The Impact of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis” for How Bankruptcy Lawyer Can Navigate the Current Crisis, Aspatore Books, 2009
- Co-authored book, Strategies for Secured Creditors in Workouts and Foreclosures (American Law Institute and American Bar Association), 2004