Mike's clients rely on him to provide sound business advice across a broad range of areas, including outside general counsel services, contract negotiations and commercial disputes, financial restructurings, bankruptcy, distressed acquisitions and sales, and wealth-protection solutions. Mike's broad experience ranges from negotiating contracts relating to electric and autonomous vehicle manufacturers and litigating automotive disputes (stop-ship cases, termination claims, and tooling and warranty disputes) to counseling, negotiating and litigating rights and interests for all types of businesses including, mining, real estate, oil and gas, telecommunications, mediation, gaming and health care.
University of MichiganB.A., 1985
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJ.D., 1988
- cum laude
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers, 2006-present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2009-present
- Listed in DBusiness Top Lawyers, 2013-present
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2018, "Leader in the Law," Honoree
- Pro Bono Recognition Award, United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2001, 2006-2008, 2010, 2014, 2016
- Visteon Corporation
- Angstrom Automotive Group LLC
- Callidus Capital Corporation
- AT&T Corporation
- Hanon Systems Corp.
Canyon Partners Real Estate LLC– Successfully obtained dismissal of a bankruptcy case filed by Packard Square allowing a State Court receiver to remain in possession to complete construction of a large mixed-use real estate project.
Visteon Corporation – Successfully obtained dismissal of lawsuit filed by Van Buren Township, MI seeking recovery of alleged bond repayment shortfall relating to construction of Visteon’s headquarters.
LL&E Royalty Trust – Successfully obtained stay relief in Breitburn Energy Partners L.P. Chapter 11 bankruptcy case to ensure that LL&E’s overriding royalty interests in oil and gas leases are resolved in Texas State Court.
Automotive Suppliers – Prepared and negotiated numerous sets of terms and conditions, including with “new technology” automobile companies such as Tesla, Faraday Future, Telit, NextEV, Zoox, etc., counseled and litigated numerous stop ship and contract dispute/termination cases, and negotiated and closed numerous asset sales.
Hanon Systems USA Corporation and Hanon Systems Corporation (Korea) – Handle numerous contract and supplier issues, corporate governance and financing matters.
Counseled numerous entrepreneurs in asset sales and workouts.
Callidus Capital Corporation – Represent lender in bankruptcy cases throughout United States.
Family Christian Stores - Represent 37 consignment vendors in bankruptcy of largest retailer of Christian books and merchandise.
Wells Fargo - Represented Wells Fargo in $60 million loan workout involving the largest law school in the country.
Wrena LLC - Successfully reorganized automotive supplier in bankruptcy in six months with ownership and management intact.
Visteon Corporation - Special Debtor’s Counsel to Visteon in its bankruptcy case for supplier matters. Lead counsel on 215 preference cases. Current counsel for distressed suppliers.
Borders Group, Inc. – Special Debtor’s Counsel to Borders in its bankruptcy case for supplier, vendor, and real estate matters.
General Motors Corporation - represented forty-one (41) substantial suppliers in GM's bankruptcy case.
Chrysler LLC v. Plastech Engineered Products - lead counsel in 12 state replevin actions involving $183M in tooling, efforts to resource $200M in business and subsequent lift stay and injunction trial in ensuing bankruptcy.
AT&T v. Clover Technologies - defended AT&T in a fraudulent conveyance action involving trustee's efforts to unwind a large LBO transaction.
JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. - represent JPM in connection with Karmann USA and its German parent Wilhelm Karmann GmbH in an international workout involving the U.S. company's collapsed bond financing and the German parent's insolvency proceeding.
- Member, Dickinson Wright Management Group
- Board Member, Bankruptcy Law Section, National Federal Bar Association
- Mediator, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1997-present
- Past Co-Chair, FBA Bankruptcy Section, Eastern District of Michigan
- Board of Trustees, Michigan Theater, Ann Arbor, MI
- Board of Directors, Barton Hills Country Club
- Former Board President, Wellness Networks, Inc.
- Author, Autonomous Vehicles: The Future Has Arrived in Michigan, Detroit Lawyer, March-April, 2017
- Speaker at ICLE’s 35th Annual Labor & Employment Law Institute - When Labor Law and Bankruptcy Intersect/Collective Bargaining Agreements/Retiree and Pension Benefits/Retention and Severance Plans, Detroit, MI, April 30, 2010
- Speaker at FBA/Employment Law Seminar on current bankruptcy issues, Detroit, MI, May 14, 2009
- Co-moderator and organizer, FBA/TMA Spring Auto Conference, Detroit, Michigan, March 24, 2009
- Author, Inside the Minds: The Impact of the Subprime Mortgage Crisis, Chapter on How Bankruptcy Lawyer Can Navigate the Current Crisis, Aspatore Books, 2009
- Co-authored Strategies for Secured Creditors in Workouts and Foreclosures (American Law Institute and American Bar Association), 2004