Mark E. Wilson has facilitated the creation and ongoing operations of Medical "Supergroups" in which multiple practices come together to form a single large scale group practice. He also facilitated the formation and operation of a number of multi-specialty group practices including medical practices operating in multiple states. He serves as General Counsel to the Covenant Health system that includes seven critical access and community hospitals in central Michigan. He has assisted in the formation, development and in securing HUD-backed financing of a physician-owned assisted living facility. Mark has facilitated the creation of a national specialty management alliance. Mark has facilitated the creation and operation of the "megamedaplexs" in Michigan including all legal and organizational aspects of the equity funding, leasing, financing, management and construction. He has represented a variety of medical practices in the acquisition, development, construction, or operation of medical offices, free standing dialysis centers, vascular access facilities, urgent cares, laboratories and surgical centers. He works closely with the practices on their internal operations including all aspects of compliance, management and governance. Mark has prepared private placement memoranda related to various private offerings or subscriptions to fund major medical or commercial projects. Mark has also assisted clients in securing Certificates of Need for various operations.
University of MichiganA.B.
Boston University School of LawJ.D.
Wayne State University Law SchoolLL.M.
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Healthcare Law, 2010-2021
- "Lawyer of the Year," Healthcare Law, 2013, 2016, 2018
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- Healthcare, 2011-2021
- DBusiness Magazine
- "Top Lawyers," Healthcare, 2011-2021
- Boston University National College of Probate Judges Law Journal
- Articles Editor, 1983-1984
Serves as General Counsel to the Covenant Health system, including seven critical access and community hospitals in central Michigan.
Facilitated the creation and ongoing operations of Medical "Supergroups."
Facilitated the formation and operation of multi-specialty group practices.
Facilitated medical practices operating in multiple states.
Assisted in the formation, development and in securing HUD-backed financing of a physician-owned assisted living facility.
Facilitated the creation of a national specialty management alliance.
Facilitated the creation of the UnaSource Health "megamedaplex" in Troy, Michigan. Oversaw legal and organizational aspects of the equity funding, leasing, financing, management and construction of the UnaSource Health and UnaSource Health II medical buildings.
Oversaw legal and organizational aspects of the Wellpointe Medical Complex in Rochester Hills, Michigan.
Represented other large medical complexes and outpatient facilities.
Assisted in the formation and development of one of the largest physician-owned freestanding multi-specialty outpatient surgical center in Southeast Michigan operating in Troy, Michigan.
Represented a variety of medical practices in the acquisition, development, construction, or operation of medical offices, free standing dialysis centers, vascular access facilities, urgent cares, laboratories and surgical centers.
Prepared private placement memoranda related to various private offerings or subscriptions to fund major medical or commercial projects.
Assisted clients in securing Certificates of Need for various operations.
Represented clients and municipalities on environmental issues with US EPA, Department of Justice, Michigan Attorney General, and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality; member of various Superfund Coordinating and Litigation Committees; represented clients in private rights of action, cost recovery, contribution and indemnification and toxic tort litigation; counseled clients in all aspects of environmental risk assessment.
- American Health Lawyers Association, Physician Organizations Practice Group
- State Bar of Michigan, Health Law Section; Environmental Law Section
- Medical Main Street Ambassador, Oakland County, Michigan
- Lecturer/Instructor, School of Education and Human Services, Oakland University, Rochester, Michigan
- National Kidney Foundation of Michigan, Board of Directors
- Eagle Scout
- Rotary Club of Grosse Pointe, President, 2010-2011
- Grosse Pointe South High School, Athletic Board
- Metro Eagles AAU, Girls Basketball Coach 2005-2009
- St. Paul on the Lake, Varsity Girls Coach, 2009 City Championship Finalist
- Grosse Pointe South High School Girls Basketball Coach 2013-2016
- Presenter, “Risk-Based Contracting: How Does Taking on Risk Contribute to Value-Based Care?” Dickinson Wright Annual Health Law Summit, November 2021
- Co-Author, "Risk-Based Contracting: How Does Taking On Risk Contribute To Value-Based Care?," Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, October 2021
- Co-Author, “Best Practices for Vaccines and the Workplace,” Michigan Bar Journal, July 2021
- Author, “Legal Leaning: Next Steps, Difficult Questions,” Healthcare Michigan, June 2020
- "CARES Act Increased Funding for the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund," Dickinson Wright Client Alert, April 2020
- "Is Now the Time for True Consumer-Driven Healthcare?" Physician's Practice, September 2019
- "Costs Down; Quality Up" Dickinson Wright Health Law Blog, May 2018
- “Integration Strategies-Super Groups, ACOs, and other Integration Structures” Grand Rapids, September 2015
- "ASCs and Health Care Reform," ASC Focus, February 2015
- Moderator, "Are You HIPAA-notized Yet?," Dickinson Wright Healthcare Seminar, Grand Rapids & Troy, September 2014
- Peer Reviewer, "Corporate Practice of Medicine - 50 State Survey," American Health Lawyers Association, published in 2012
- Co-Author, "'Super Group Today, ACO Tomorrow': How Multispecialty Groups Are Desirable Structures for Future ACO Certification," Physician Organizations Practice Group, American Health Lawyers Association, June 2012
- Speaker,"Take the Time--Answers for Your Clients' Health Reform Question," Webinar, Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (March 31; April 1, 2010)
- Moderator, Health Care Strategies Summit, Troy Chamber of Commerce (May 26, 2010)
- Speaker,"Developing a Medical Office Building on or Near a Health Care Campus: A Prescription for Success," 2009-2010 Homeward Bound Series, Institute for Continuing Litigation and the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, November 5, 2009, Plymouth, Michigan
- Author, "21st Century Physicians Return to Their Roots," Michigan Medical Law Report, Business & Technology, Summer 2005
- Speaker, "Building Ownership: Is It Right For You?" Michigan Gastroenterology Society Symposium, October 2004
- Co-Author, "Due Diligent Concerns When Buying Property," Michigan Lawyers Weekly, December 2000