The Pennsylvania State UniversityB.S., Chemistry, 1998
Wayne State UniversityM.B.A., 2001
Wayne State University School of LawJ.D., 2010
- cum laude
- Gold Key Recipient for academic achievement
- Silver Key Recipient for academic achievement
- Bronze Key Recipient for academic achievement
- Honors in Legal Research and Writing
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Star," Intellectual Property Law, 2017-2018
- A major consumer packaged goods company
- Allure Energy Inc.
- First Sense Medical
- Beijing West Industries
- Magna International, Inc.
- Lacks Industries, Inc.
Patent application preparation and prosecution worldwide, including significant experience in the following technologies:
- Food processing and related equipment
- Food compositions
- Food packaging and related equipment
- Automotive systems and equipment, including brake systems, magnetorheological (MR) dampers, and heat exchangers
- Medical devices (e.g., breast cancer detection systems and related methods)
- Home energy management systems
- Proximity-managed energy control systems and related methods
- Fluid quick connectors
- Material coating technology and processes
Extensive U.S. and international post-grant experience, having represented clients in eight Inter Partes review proceedings and supported European Opposition Proceedings
Secured multiple U.S. patents in less than one (1) year for both a start-up company and solo inventors using the Accelerated Examination and Prioritized Examination procedures available at the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
Utilized the Pre-Appeal Brief Conference Program available at the USPTO to secure multiple U.S. patents without the need to pursue the U.S. Patent Appeals process
Routinely prepare intellectual property opinions, including patentability opinions, non-infringement opinions, and validity/invalidity opinions
Prepare Trademark opinions and applications
Patent licensing agreement support
Patent litigation support, including the development of the technical aspects of litigation, such as developing claim construction, invalidity and non-infringement positions
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association (MIPLA)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Prior Professional Experience
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Schomer worked in the automotive industry and gained significant professional experience with both General Motors and E.I. du Pont de Nemours (DuPont) companies in the field of automotive paint coatings and paint process engineering.
As a paint process engineer for General Motors, Mr. Schomer was responsible for the pre-treatment/phosphate, electro-coat, primer, basecoat, clearcoat, and mix room paint systems. This responsibility included experience with rotary atomized, air atomized, and robotic application paint systems.
As a product chemist for DuPont, Mr. Schomer was responsible for the formulation and product support of solvent-borne, water-borne, and powder coatings for use in various U.S. assembly plants.
Completed the one-year Paint Development Training Program sponsored by General Motors
- General Motors, Paint and Polymers Center - Paint Liaison Engineer
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours (DuPont) Automotive Systems - Product Chemist
- General Motors, Orion Assembly - Paint Process Engineer
- General Motors, Paint Engineering - Material Development Engineer
- “Coverage for Patent Infringement Claims as an Advertising Injury”, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Vol. 26, No. 15 (February 20, 2012).