Jomy J. Methipara is a business attorney who advises entrepreneurs, business executives and general counsel on corporate and securities law matters such as corporate formation and structuring, mergers and acquisitions, contract negotiations, and efforts to raise capital. Mr. Methipara is also well experienced in intellectual property law matters. Mr. Methipara represents clients including Fortune 500 companies, startup companies, technology companies, and individual inventors before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
Mr. Methipara specializes in patent prosecution and opinion work, U.S. and foreign patent procurement, portfolio management, and appeal proceedings before the USPTO. Mr. Methipara also has substantial experience in counseling clients and rendering opinions on matters related to patentability, infringement, validity, freedom-to-operate, due diligence, and prosecution strategy involving domestic and foreign patents. Mr. Methipara also assists in patent litigation matters including the development of the technical aspects of litigation, such as developing claim construction, invalidity and non-infringement positions.
Mr. Methipara’s main technological areas of patent experience include mechanical and electromechanical devices, printers, immersion lithography devices, optics, lasers, hybrid and electric cars, digital cameras, vehicle airbag devices, aircraft cockpit design, oil refineries, power tools, semiconductors, computer systems, and medical devices such as ophthalmic surgical devices, other surgical devices, drug delivery and injection devices, and medical packaging, transport and sterilization devices.
John Marshall Law SchoolJ.D., 2010
University of Illinois Urbana-ChampaignB.S., Mechanical Engineering, 2002
- District of Columbia
- Managed patent portfolios for several fortune 500 companies in industries including automotive, medical devices, printers, immersion lithography devices, digital cameras, and aerospace.
- Participated in two cases at the International Trade Commission (ITC) on behalf of an automotive supplier.
- Supported litigation efforts in various federal district court cases for ecommerce and digital media companies.
Startup and Small Business Assignments
Raised money and built capital
Renegotiated patent licensing agreements
Managed patent and trademark portfolios
- South Asian Bar Association of Washington D.C.
- General Director, 2022
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- U.S. Post-Grant Patent Office Practice Committee
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Diversity in IP Law Committee
- PTAB Trial Committee
- Corporate Practice Committee
- Patent Litigation Committee
- International and Foreign Law Committee
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- South Asian Bar Association (SABA)