K. Lance Anderson has extensive experience preparing and negotiating technology and intellectual property-focused transactions, as well as technology aspects of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other complex commercial transactions. A registered patent attorney, Mr. Anderson also conducts patent prosecution, due diligence for licensing, and acquisitions, technology agreements, strategic planning, trade secrets, employment mobility, and related operational legal issues.
Prior to private practice, Lance served for over ten years as in-house counsel and lead intellectual property attorney for both a large public research university system and an early stage venture capital company, overseeing all facets of intellectual property development, management, and transactions. His experience and background contribute to skill sets applicable to technology transfer and emerging technology, high-tech, health-IT, agricultural biotechnology, pharmaceuticals/life sciences, consumer products, oil & gas, and renewable energy. Mr. Anderson has particular technical background in life sciences, including representing clients regarding proprietary plants, genetics and plant-derived products.
Lance represents clients within the innovation and research enterprise including R&D, clinical and regulatory matters, strategic collaborations, CRADA’s, manufacturing, distribution, engineering services, institutional technology transfer, confidentiality and materials exchange, and related alliances. In addition to representing clients on intellectual property issues, he has been involved in many aspects of corporate law, operations, financing and litigation ranging from start-up and early stage companies to mature market leaders.Watch Lance’s Minutes on the Matter Part 1 & Part 2 segments.
Texas Tech UniversityB.S., Entomology, 1997
- magna cum laude
Texas Tech UniversityM.S., Crop Science, 2000
- magna cum laude
Texas Tech University School of LawJ.D., 2000
- IAM Patent 1000
Counsel clients regarding university or institutional-based innovations, including innovation & entrepreneurship (I&E) programs, policy formation, and institutional management of innovation flow.
Served as counsel for a large health provider for a transaction to market and distribute an internally developed diagnostic platform, including laboratory services, marketing and distribution.
Counseled an energy-sector technology and engineering company on numerous license and engineering transactions for refinery enhancements ranging from master-level agreements to individual refineries located around the globe.
Served as counsel to a large retail organization for a series of development, service and hosting agreements regarding an inventory management software platform.
Serve as counsel to a private medical research institute for development and approval of multiple medical technologies, including biomaterials, personalized medicine and anti-aging technologies.
Serve as outside counsel for a private foundation serving as a partnership intermediary with Federal laboratories, including master-level cooperative research and development agreements (CRADA’s).
Serve as outside general counsel to start-up and emerging growth companies.
Regularly counsel clients on employee and/or independent contractor issues, including state-level trade secrets laws and Federal Defend Our Trade Secrets Act (DTSA) related issues.
Serve as counsel to federal funding agreements, including negotiation and processing of Data Rights retention and notice requirements.
Perform trade secret audits and management plans on behalf of clients.
Prepare web application terms and conditions, general user terms and conditions, SaaS/PaaS agreements, colocation/IaaS agreements, and other service-based software agreements.
Frequently participate as intellectual property counsel to corporate transactions, such as asset purchase agreements, mergers, and acquisitions.
Serve as counsel to early-stage companies on intellectual property strategy and development, policy and handbook formation, and product road-mapping, including for purposes of fundraising and/or securities offerings. Provide personnel training and compliance services.
Serve as patent prosecution counsel for numerous clients with subject matter focus in life sciences, plant technologies, and health-IT related inventions.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Judge, LaunchU Business Plan Competition, Oberlin College, 2015
- Member, Licensing Executives Society (LES)
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member, Austin Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association (ABA)
- Board of Directors, Texas Medical Device Alliance (TMDA)
- Advisory Board Member, Texas Tech University Innovation Hub and Research Park, 2014-2016
- Member, University of Texas at Austin, College of Natural Sciences IP Task Force, 2012
- Advisory Board Member, West Texas Center for Innovation and Commercialization, 2010-2012
- Board Member, Center for Life Sciences Technology (CLiST), University of Houston, 2009-2010
Featured, Non-Disclosure Agreements, DW’s Minutes on the Matter, Part 2, February 2021
Featured, Non-Disclosure Agreements, DW’s Minutes on the Matter, Part 1, February 2021
Speaker, “Next is Now,” BTS 2020 Bengaluru Summit, November 2020
Presenter, "Inventor’s Workshop", New Horizons Foundation, Hobbs, New Mexico, January 15, 2020
Presenter, "New Horizons Foundation Inventors Seminar", New Horizons Foundation, Hobbs, New Mexico, June 28, 2019
Presenter, "Preventing Legal Disputes with Faculty Start-Ups: Drafting Agreements that Avoid Future Conflicts" April14, 2019
Author, "Intellectual Property Issues with Research and Academic Institutions," Intellectual Property Deskbook for the Business Lawyer, American Bar Association’s Business Law Section, 4th Edition, March 2019
Moderator, "Intellectual Property and Licensing," Texas Medical Device Alliance, February 21, 2019, Austin, TX
Panelist, Legal Issues in Advancing Technology Panel Discussion, Austin Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, February 20, 2018, Austin, TX
Author, “The Patent Mirage: The New Challenge for Today’s IP Strategy,” MedTech Intelligence, November 28, 2017
- Author, “Managing Today’s Innovation in Healthcare: The Modern IP Strategy,” Healthcare Michigan, September 2017
- Co-Author, “Legal Considerations,” Biosimilars of Monoclonal Antibodies: A Practical Guide to Manufacturing, Preclinical, and Clinical Development, First Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., January 2017
- Co-Author, "Keys To IP Collaborations With Universities: Part 3," Law360, March 9, 2015
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property Workshop," 2015 LaunchU Business Plan Competition, Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH, January 31, 2015
- Presenter, "SBIR and Data Rights," 2014 Fall National Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) / Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) Conference, Austin, TX, November 13, 2014
- Co-Author, "Keys To IP Collaborations With Universities: Part 2," Law360, October 20, 2014
- Co-Author, "Keys To IP Collaborations With Universities: Part 1," Law360, July 21, 2014
- Author, "Intellectual Property Issues with Research and Academic Institutions," Intellectual Property Deskbook for the Business Lawyer, American Bar Association’s Business Law Section, 3rd Edition, September 2013
- Panelist, "IP for Entrepreneurs," Spectrum Educational Series, Austin Chamber of Commerce, Austin, TX, September 17, 2013
- Panelist and Co-Author, "Going Commercial: How Ideas and Inventions Become Economic Realities," 7th Annual John Huffaker Agricultural Law Course, Lubbock, TX, May 23, 2013
- Guest Lecturer, "Negotiation," IC2 Institute, Advanced Commercialization Training program, U.S. Dept. of State’s Building Opportunity Out of Science and Technology (BOOST) Program, Ankara, Turkey, April 23-25, 2013
- Moderator, "Tech Transfer: Tapping into University Breakthroughs and Competitive Advantage," 6th Annual OneMedForum Conference, San Francisco, CA, January 9, 2013
- Panelist, "The Post-Election Political Landscape and What It Means for Your Business: From Regulatory Compliance to Tech Innovation," American Corporate Counsel Luncheon, Austin, TX, December 6, 2012
- Author, "IP and Technology Transfer," Intellectual Property Deskbook for the Business Lawyer, American Bar Association’s Business Law Section, 2nd Edition, July 2009