Kathleen Campbell Walker is internationally recognized as a thought leader and for the breadth of her experience in immigration law and policy. She is a problem solver for complex and difficult immigration challenges in business immigration, compliance, audits, cross-border issues, admissions, waivers, worksite enforcement, and consular processing. Her industry related experience includes: manufacturing, healthcare, food and drink producers, academic institutions, technology, financial services, entertainment, investors, mining, pharmaceuticals, retail, sports, transportation, government, agriculture, physicians, equestrians, and utilities.
Ms. Walker is a former national president and general counsel of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) as well as a member of its Board of Governors. She has served as a national chairperson of a variety of AILA committees, including for the Department of State, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service worksite compliance, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. She has also testified on immigration law and policy before U.S. congressional committees and state legislative committees.
The University of Texas School of LawJ.D., 1985
Texas Tech UniversityB.A., 1982
- Summa cum Laude
- National Law Journal
- Immigration Trailblazer, 2020
- Distinguished Alumus, College of Arts and Sciences, Texas Tech University, 2017
- Recipient of the AILA Founder’s Award which is given to the person or entity having the most substantial impact on the field of immigration law or policy, 2014
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified in Immigration and Nationality Law
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- Star Individual, Business Immigration
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV/Preeminent® Immigration Rating
- Who’s Who Legal
- Thought Leader and Global Leader Corporate Immigration
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Immigration, 1991-2021
- Texas Super Lawyers®
- Immigration, 2003-2020
- Texas Lawyer Magazine
- One of Five “Go To” Lawyers in the State of Texas for Immigration Law, 2008
- Texas Lawyer for Immigration Law
- Extraordinary Woman in Texas Law, 2008
- Selected to serve on the Council of Foreign Relations Independent Task Force on U.S. Immigration Policy, which was chaired by former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and former White House Chief of Staff Thomas F. (Mack) McLarty, 2008
Multiple worksite compliance audit responses submitted to Homeland Security Investigations of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Multiple E-2 visa registrations and transfers of global management personnel.
Strategies for international assignments during COVID-19 pandemic and associated presidential proclamations and executive orders.
L-1 blanket amendments and multiple L-1 transfers of essential managers and executives.
O-1 Extraordinary ability petitions for emerging industries.
SEVIS compliance issues for public university.
Foreign Residence waivers for international medical graduates.
Healthcare personnel critical transfers.
Cross-border essential personnel admissions.
National interest exceptions for admission.
J-1 foreign medical graduate licensure issues.
E-Verify related merger and compliance issues.
Trusted Traveler program denials.
Labor certification audits.
Compliance issues as to reductions in force and modifications to employment terms for visa holders.
• American Immigration Lawyers Association
• International Bar Association
• American Bar Association
• State Bar of Texas
• College of the State Bar of Texas
• El Paso Bar Association
• Prior Chair of the Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce
• Prior President of the El Paso Foreign Trade Association – Main project was the creation of the first Dedicated Commuter Lane in Texas.
• Prior Public Board Member of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers
- U.S. Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Featured speaker at the 53st Annual PLI Immigration & Naturalization Symposium – Department of State Update (Dec. 2020)
Featured speaker at the 44th Annual Conference on Immigration and Nationality Law – Consular Processing Disruption in 2020 -Overview and Strategies (Oct. 2020)
Speaker at the State Bar of Texas Annual Conference – Advanced Immigration Law – “Adjustment of Status v. Consular Processing” – Houston (Feb. 2020).
Speaker at the 52nd Annual Immigration & Naturalization Institute – “Consular Update” – New York (Dec. 2019).
Speaker at the AILA University Video Roundtable Discussion on Business Immigration (December 2019).
Featured speaker at the Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)/Japanese Business Society of Detroit (JBSD) Legal Seminar in Livonia, Michigan – Buy American Hire American Executive Order issued by the Trump Administration (August 2019).
Speaker at the 2019 American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) National Conference in Park City, Utah - Worksite Compliance and Enforcement Task (September 2019).
Speaker, Hot Topics in Immigration Law, Advanced Immigration Law, State Bar of Texas (Jan. 2019).
Speaker for a Live Webinar for AILA, “The Ins and Outs of Lawful Admission” (Nov. 2018).
Speaker at Fall 2018 AILA Conference on Nonimmigrant Visa Waivers: Overcoming Inadmissibility Obstacles and Delays – London, UK (Oct. 2018).
Speaker at 2018 AILA Annual Conference – Dealing with the Worst Bureaucracy: When Red Tape Hinders Good-Faith Efforts to Normalize Status – San Francisco, CA. (June 2018).
Speaker at UT Austin Advanced Immigration Law Course Conference – Pushing the Envelope on Immigration Reform by Presidential Fiat and H-1B 2018 Worries Checklist -- Houston, Texas (Feb. 2018).
Speaker at 50th Annual Immigration and Naturalization Institute 2017 PLI Conference – State Department/Consular Affairs Update – New York, New York (Dec. 2017).
Contributing Author – Independent Task Force Report No. 63 on U.S. Immigration Policy published by the Council on Foreign Relations.
Contributing Author- Immigration Practice under NAFTA and Other Free Trade Agreements published by AILA.