Joe Delehanty, an associate in Dickinson Wright’s Chicago office, helps businesses succeed in a broad range of corporate and intellectual property disputes, including employment, fiduciary duty, non-compete, non-disclosure, trade secret, copyright, and trademark claims. He has particular experience helping clients resolve contentious “business divorces,” as well as challenging Federal and State regulatory matters across a broad range of issues.
Joe has significant experience handling real property disputes and transactions. He has litigated complex boundary and prescriptive easement disputes, as well as construction matters in both state and federal court involving complex insurance coverage and damage recovery issues. As part of his transactional practice, Joe has represented buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of commercial property, resolving financing, title, and environmental impediments needed to conclude the transactions successfully.
Joe also serves as outside counsel for a variety of startups and other young, innovative companies. As a former small business owner, Joe understands the needs and challenges of entrepreneurs and business owners, providing them with guidance on balancing long-term strategic objectives with the practical requirements of running a business. He helps them structure their corporate entities, negotiate and litigate contracts, resolve founder disputes, and raise the required funding to remain competitive. Additionally, he has significant experience helping small and emerging businesses protect their intellectual property; both in prosecuting his clients’ rights and defending their interests when claims are filed against them. In all cases, Joe works closely with his clients to set and pursue strategies that match their broader business objectives, then works with them to execute on those strategies and achieve their goals.
Indiana UniversityB.A., 2009
Indiana University, Mauer School of LawJ.D., 2013
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Bar Leader Series, Class XIV
- Illinois Super Lawyers
- Rising Star, 2021
- Assisted an up-and-coming author in the assertion of her copyright against a global publisher.
- Defended trademark and trade secret claims brought against a young hunting equipment manufacturer by a competitor seeking to gain an edge in the market.
- Successfully represented a large condominium association in a construction defect claim against the builder and development company of the condominium resulting in the complete replacement of the condominium’s roof and drainage system.
- Counsel to buyers and sellers in mergers or acquisitions in the steel, manufacturing, high-tech, and real estate industries in transactions valued between $5 million and $50 million.
- Served as outside general counsel to a food and confection co-packing firm with revenues in excess of $100 million, advising as to master service agreements with global food brands, corporate governance, capital expenditure agreements, and real estate matters.
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division Board Member, 2015-2019
- Sagamore American Inn of Court
- Inn Administrator, 2014-2019
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- One Laptop Per Child
- President, 2007-2009