Leveraging his experience in business, real estate, tax, private equity, and finance, David Durell focuses his practice on commercial real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and investment processes to accelerate business growth. He has counseled and represented clients across a broad range of real estate transactions, hotel deals, and corporate mergers. He treats all parties to negotiations with empathy while achieving strategic outcomes, driving growth, and empowering teams to creatively improve operations in an inclusive and collaborative environment.
David strives to understand his clients’ business operations and goals and provides representation across broad practice areas to assist clients with achieving their business objectives.
Before joining DW, David co-founded a boutique law firm specializing in business, real estate, and finance law. Over the years, David has developed a reputation as a results-oriented attorney, providing proactive advice and guidance to help clients achieve strategic business goals. David also served as Chief Investment Officer for a private equity firm specializing in REIT investments, UPREIT transactions, and asset management.
Ferris State UniversityM.S. Administration
Grand Valley State University
Thomas M. Cooley Law SchoolJ.D.
- North Dakota
- Grew real estate acquisition syndicate, increased revenue, and managed a robust real estate portfolio.
- Represented REITs in numerous corporate and real estate transactions, assisting clients with identifying investment criteria, acquisition structures, and protocols.
- Worked directly with the client to acquire $500m in real estate and corporate assets.
- Oversaw acquisition and asset management teams for publicly reporting REIT.
- Named co-inventor on a patent-pending Equity Preservation UPREIT structure which he employed to acquire several hotels.
- Significantly increased net asset value without typical liquidity requirements through umbrella partnership real estate investment trust (UPREIT) structure.
- Increased property performance demonstrating high market share capture compared to competitors.
- Represented clients through company inception, acquisitions, and dispositions of $100m in assets to achieve projected investor returns.
- Oversaw the implementation of a patent-pending acquisition structure. Allowed hoteliers to become partners and preserve equity while properties stabilized after the pandemic spurred market uncertainties.
- Developed trademarked ValueLock concept to bridge the gap between market valuations and seller expectations. Created competitive advantage and closed deals by protecting both seller’s assets and buyer’s capital.
- Represents Qualified Opportunity Zone funds in their acquisition and management of assets.
- Mastermind Panel, "How to Strengthen Profitability and Remain Resilient, a Mastermind Panel," April 2023