Wittenberg UniversityB.A., 1997
- summa cum laude
University of MichiganM.S.W., 1998
- Masters in Social Work
- Recipient of Specialist in Aging Certificate
Wayne State University Law SchoolJ.D., 2007
- cum laude
- Law Review Associate Editor
- Penn State Dickinson Law School, International Law Program, Florence, Italy
- Michigan Super Lawyers
- Rising Star 2015-present
- Bay County Public Schools
- Genesee Intermediate School District
- Google, Inc.
- J.C. Penney Corp.
- Kirtland Community College
- University of Michigan
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Counsels clients regarding trademark infringement, unfair competition, and domain name enforcement matters.
Counsels clients concerning potential infringement and the likelihood of success in infringement actions or opposition proceedings.
Counsels clients on proper trademark use in order to strengthen enforceable trademark rights.
Conducts trademark availability searches and provides risk assessment opinions on behalf of a wide range of clients, including a major U.S. and international retailer, a leading global IT and software company, and leading international automotive companies.
Represents clients in connection with broad array of domain name dispute resolution policies and forums and successfully obtains domain name transfers on behalf of clients pursuant to the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) and corresponding policies in countries who have adopted variations of the UDRP.
Represents small, mid-size, and national employers in connection with federal, state, and agency employment litigation, including discrimination, whistleblower, and harassment claims.
Represents intermediate school districts, public schools, public school academies, and educational institutions in range of issues including regulation of student conduct, organizational liability, policy and regulatory issues, and employment matters.
Represents community colleges and public universities in connection with policy formation and compliance with legal and funding requirements.
Represented Fortune 500 automotive company as a member of a litigation team in connection with a billion dollar contract dispute.
- American Bar Association
- Eastern District of Michigan Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
- Washtenaw County Bar Association
- Education Law Association Member
- Author of Chapter “School Building Facilities and Physical Plants” in book Key Legal Issues for Schools: The Ultimate Resource for School Business Officials, 2nd Edition (2013). C. Russo (Ed.) Lanham, MA: Rowman & Littlefield Publications.
- Author of Chapter “Should Corporal Punishment in Public Schools Be Abolished?” in book Debating Issues in American Education, School Discipline and Safety, Volume 5 (2012). S. Eckes (Ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Author of Chapter “School Discipline and Safety: Are Zero Tolerance Policies Acceptable With Respect to Drugs, Alcohol, Weapons, Where Student Safety Is Concerned?” (2012) in book Debating Issues in American Education, School Discipline and Safety, Volume 5. S. Eckes (Ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Co-author and presenter of "Challenges to Disparate Discipline: Recent Trends," at the 2011 57th Annual Education Law Association Conference in Chicago.
- Co-author of "Passing the Trash: Exploring School District Liability in State and Federal Courts," presented at the 2010 56th Annual Education Law Association Conference in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Contributor of multiple entries summarizing legal decisions in 2-volume, Encyclopedia of Law and Higher Education (2009). C. Russo (Ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Contributor of multiple entries summarizing legal decisions in 2-volume, Encyclopedia of Education Law (2008). C. Russo (Ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.