Ryan Chesnut assists his clients with a variety of complex matters, including tax issues, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, entity formation, contract drafting and negotiation, and other business law matters. Prior to joining Dickinson Wright, Ryan worked as an attorney for a corporate law firm based in Columbus, and he previously served in a tax consulting role with a public accounting firm where he advised companies of all sizes and complexities on income and franchise tax, sales and use tax, property tax, and other state and local tax issues.
Ryan earned his undergraduate degree in finance, and he is licensed as a Certified Public Accountant by the Accountancy Board of Ohio.
Florida State University College of LawJ.D., 2012
- Business Law Review
The Ohio State UniversityB.S.B.A., Finance, 2009
- Analyzed transaction agreements, legal due diligence memorandums, tax due diligence reports, quality of earnings reports, financial statements, and other due diligence materials related to M&A transactions to assist underwriters of representations and warranties insurance with assessing risk and modifying policy provisions in connection with underwriting policies
- Counseled insurance companies on coverage issues and assisted with resolution of claims made under representations and warranties insurance policies related to M&A transactions, including analysis of alleged violations of financial statement representations and warranties as well as the valuation methods used to measure damages
- Performed research and analysis to evaluate tax consequences and identify planning opportunities for business transactions, including business formations, business combinations, transfers of assets or equity, and dissolutions
- Advised businesses and employees on tax matters related to stock options and other equity-based compensation awards granted to employees, including Section 409A issues and Section 83(b) elections
- Performed multistate nexus studies by reviewing business activities, apportionment, filing history, and relevant state laws to identify compliance responsibilities, quantify potential liabilities, and assess audit risk
- Prepared refund claims and voluntary disclosure agreements for sales and use, income and franchise, gross receipts, and other state and local taxes
- Created industry-specific sales and use tax matrices to assist businesses with proper taxation of products and purchases
- Provided state and local tax planning for businesses entering into new markets
- Assisted businesses with addressing tax audits, notices, assessments, and other inquiries
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association