Texas Tech UniversityB.S., Electrical Engineering , 1991
Texas Tech University School of LawJ.D., 1999
summa cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Delta Phi
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Selected by Thomson Reuters as a Texas Super Lawyer, 2014-present.
- Listed as one of the 2016-2019 “IP Stars” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine.
Medical devices: arthroscopic surgical instruments; breathing diagnostics; continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices; oxygen generation and therapy; and related trademarks and licensing.
Computer and Semiconductor: microprocessor design and operation; mixed-signal circuit design; board-level computer design; switching power supplies; image processing; semiconductor processing and related equipment; and fault-tolerant computing systems.
Oil and natural gas exploration and production: well logging tools (e.g., nuclear, acoustic, electric, and electromagnetic tools); software for visualization and automation of oil and natural gas exploration; and acoustic flow measurement technologies.
Software: Across all referenced industries, Mr. Scott has also gained significant experience in drafting and prosecution of relevant "software" applications.
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Texas Bar Association - Intellectual Property Section
- Austin Bar Association
- 2016-2018 Member of the GoDance Country Dance Performance Team
- 2016-2018 President, Chandelle Flying Club (based at Austin Bergstrom)
- 2014-2016 Secretary, Chandelle Flying Club
- 2014-2016 Finance Council, Emmaus Catholic Parish, Lakeway, Texas
- 2018 Assisted pro bono nonprofit client, The Ladies of Charity – Lake Travis, with a complicated acquisition of real property. The property will house the organization’s new donation center and resale shop.
- Texas Supreme Court
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Southern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
Speaker, "Broadest Reasonable Interpretation" and "The Intersection of Export Control Regulations and Foreign Filing Licenses" National Association of Patent Practitioners (NAPP) Annual Conference, July 23, 2019
Speaker, “The Intersection of Export Control Regulations and Foreign Filing Licenses: Can I Write a Patent Application on the Beach in Cabo?” National Association of Patent Practitioners (NAPP), July 21, 2018
- Panelist, Legal Issues in Advancing Technology Panel Discussion, Austin Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, February 20, 2018, Austin, TX
- Speaker, “Tales from the Edge, Export Controls, Paris Priority Claims and Working Remotely: Preventing Problems Before They Happen and Trying to Fix Them When Things Go Wrong,” American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), June 21, 2017.
- Author, “The Intersection of Export Control Regulations and Foreign Filing Licenses: Can I Write a Patent Application on the Beach in Cabo” American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Paper, June 2017.
- Presenter, 2016 HalfMoon Education Inc. Texas Engineering Law and Ethics, Austin, TX, "Intellectual Property Essential for Engineers: Patents, Trademarks, Copyrights, and Trade Secrets."
- Presenter, 2015 Intellectual Property Law Section of the Oklahoma Bar Association, Mid-Year Meeting, Dallas, TX, "Broadest Reasonable Interpretation."
- Presenter, 2014 University of Texas Continuding Legal Educatin (UTCLE) Advanced Patent Law Institute, Austin, TX, "Broadest Reasonable Interpretation."
- Presenter, 2011 University of Texas Continuing Legal Education (UTCLE) Advanced Patent Law Institute, Austin, TX, "Claims Drafting Strategies and Prosecution Issues."
- Panelist, 2009 Texas Lawyer Roundtable Event on Intellectual Property, Austin, TX
- Co-Author Fall 2006 Intellectual Property Law Section Article, "I'll Have the Appeal With Conference, Hold the Appeal Brief."
- Presenter, 2005 Association of Corporate Counsel of Austin meeting, "Contracting with Corporate Inventors and Key Personnel.