H. Steven Vogel is a third generation lawyer practicing out of Dickinson Wright’s Ft. Lauderdale office. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and professional liability cases. With over 20 years of experience, Steve represents businesses and their stakeholders in various industries. He also represents licensed professionals including accountants, lawyers and real estate agents.
Steve has represented many large national accounting firms, as well as various regional firms in a variety of matters and in a number of different forums. He has been involved in a number of high profile cases in the State of Florida and other jurisdictions. Steve regularly handles claims of alleged professional malpractice, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, financial statement audit failures, violations of state and federal securities laws, business tort and common law fraud. Steve also handles SEC regulatory investigations and he defends licensed professionals before disciplinary boards including the Florida Board of Accountancy, the Florida Bar and other governmental agencies. Steve counsels CPAs and CPA firms on questions concerning the unauthorized practice of law, professional standards, business and professional ethics and related matters.
Steve is a past Chair and former member of the Florida Board of Accountancy, a body responsible for the licensure and governance of the accounting profession in the State of Florida. After first being appointed to this state-wide leadership position by Florida Governor Rick Scott in 2011 and confirmed by the Florida Senate, Steve was reappointed in 2015. In addition to his service as Chair of the Board, he served as Chair and member of the Board’s Probable Cause Panel. Steve is also a former member of the American Institute of CPA’s Auditing Standards Board (“ASB”), the senior technical committee of the AICPA, which has the authority to issue auditing, attestation and quality control standards applicable to the performance and issuance of audit and attestation reports for non-public companies.
Steve’s past experience includes his employment on the professional staff of Price Waterhouse Coopers in the Multi-National Corporate Tax Group based in New York as well as his employment as an independent auditor with Ernst & Young.
Steve’s fluency in the areas of accounting and law, as well as his role as Standard Setter and Regulator in the State of Florida, allows him to effectively communicate accounting and auditing principles to judges and juries, as well as translating the law for his clients.
He is a former adjunct professor at the University of Miami where he taught business law at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Steve also previously taught at Florida International University in the areas of business law, real estate tax, and current tax issues at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Steve has been recognized by Martindale-Hubbell® with an AV Preeminent® rating.
University of Miami School of LawLL.M., Taxation
Capital University School of LawJ.D.
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV/Preeminent® Rating
- Florida Board of Accountancy
- Member, appointed by Florida Governor Rick Scott and Confirmed by the Florida State Senate (2011 – 2019)
- Chair (2015)
- Vice Chair (2014)
- Probable Cause Panel, Chair (2014)
- Probable Cause Panel, Member
- Legislative Affairs and Budge Committees, Member
- Florida Bar Grievance Committee “11C” in Miami-Dade County
- Chair (2014)
- Member (2012 – present)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Member Auditing Standards Board (2009 – 2012)
- National State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) Board Effectiveness and Legislative Affairs Committee, Member Dade County Bar Association, Real Property Committee (2009)
- University of Miami College of Business Administration, Instructor, (2012-2018(
- Florida International University, Instructor, (2001-2009) University of Miami School of Law (Real Estate LL.M. Program), Adjunct Instructor, (2000-2005)
- Miami Dade Community College, Adjunct Professor, (1998-2001)
- Author "Dealing with Subpoena Requests for Digital Data," The American Institute of Certified Public Accountant's Journal of Accountancy, March, 2019
- Author "Dealing with Subpoena Requests for Digital Data," The Florida Institute of CPA's, Spring 2019
- Author "Professional Perspectives on the Business and Legal Impact of Medical Marijuana on South Florida," South Florida Legal Guide, August, 2017
- Author "A Budding Area," Florida Trend Magazine, February, 2017
- Author "Conflicts in Marijuana Laws Mean Professionals Must Act Carefully Before Taking on Clients," Daily Business Review, November 18, 2016
- Author "Advising Marijuana Businesses," Defense Research Institute, October, 2016
- Author "The Janus Decision," The Defense Research Institute, 2011
- Author "Supreme Court to Review Important Securities Case that May Open the Door to Fraud Suits Against Accountants," CPA Mutual Insurance Company of America, 2010
- Author "Statement on Auditing Standards - Consideration of Fraud in a Financial Statement Audit," CPA Mutual Insurance Company of America," 2010
- Author "Plaintiff's Fault as a Defense in Accountant's Malpractice Suits," American Association of Attorney-CPAs, Summer 2008
- Author "Comparative Negligence in CPA Malpractice Cases, are CPA's Weathering the Storm," Defense Research Institute, 2007
- Author "Contract for Sale of Goods, Suing or Defending Action for Breach of Contract under Florida's Commercial Code," Matthew Bender, 2006
- "The Anatomy of an Accountant's Defense," Florida Institute of CPA's 2021 Valuation Service Conference, Miami, Florida, January, 2021
- "Electronic Stored Information - Ethical and Practical Issues," The Florida Institute of CPA's, Miami, Florida, January, 2018
- "Electronic Stored Information - Ethical and Practical Issues," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Austin, Texas, October, 2017
- "A Medical Marijuana Update," Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce IMPACT Seminar, Coral Gables, Florida, 2017
- "The New Landscape of Anti-Trust Litigation Facing Accounting and Other Professionals," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Los Angeles, California, 2016
- "Update on the State Marijuana Laws and the Impact on Professionals," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Los Angeles, California, 2016
- "State Marijuana Laws and the Impact on Professionals," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Marco Island, Florida, 2015
- "Professional Skepticism," CBIZ/MHM Annual Conference, Hollywood, California, 2014
- "Getting Yourself Out of Hot Water," National Association of State Boards of Accountancy Annual Conference for Board of Accountancy Legal Counsel, Tampa, Florida, March, 2014
- "Florida State Board of Accountancy Update," University of Florida Annual Accounting Conference, Gainesville, Florida, 2013
- "The Anatomy of an Accountants Defense," CPA Associates International Annual Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2013
- "The New AICPA Financial Reporting Framework for SME's," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2013
- "The New AICPA Financial Reporting Framework for SME's," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Chicago, Illinois, 2012
- "Accounting Malpractice Update," University of Miami Graduate School of Business, Miami, Florida, 2012
- "The Clarity Project Update," CNA Lawyers and Accountants Networking Conference, Orlando, Florida, 2011