Stephen “Steve” Montgomery practices in the areas of commercial transactions, bankruptcy, commercial real estate, estate planning and probate, and civil litigation. He represents businesses with entity formation, contract drafting, purchasing and selling assets and ownership interests, and resolving business disputes. His experience includes:
- Representing lenders in complex commercial lending transactions, workouts, and foreclosures;
- Representing creditors in bankruptcy; drafting estate planning documents for individuals with significant net worth, and
- Assisting non-profit organizations in qualifying for exemptions from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Steve is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America© 2022 for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Outside the firm, Steve has served on the Board of Directors of the Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce (DHCC) for a number of years. He is the 2021 Immediate Past President of DHCC. Steve’s personal interests include Vanderbilt University athletics and traveling.
Belmont UniversityCertificate, Business, 2015
Vanderbilt UniversityB.A., 2003
Vanderbilt University Law SchoolJ.D., 2007
- Law and Business Certificate Program
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2021-22
- Represented secured lenders in numerous complex Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases.
- Represented purchasers and sellers in commercial real estate transactions throughout Middle Tennessee.
- Successfully represented a lender in a four-day trial regarding collection of a post-foreclosure deficiency judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment for three defendants on a novel issue of Tennessee law regarding negotiable instruments.
- Successfully represented a Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee in complex fraudulent transfer litigation.
- American Bar Association – Member
- Tennessee Bar Association – Member
- Nashville Bar Association – Member
- Alzheimer’s Association – Mid-South Chapter
- Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce – 2016-2019 Bylaws Committee Chairman
- Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce – 2017-2019 Board of Directors
- Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce – 2019 President-Elect
- Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce – 2020 President
- Donelson-Hermitage Chamber of Commerce – 2021 Immediate Past President
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Tax Court,
- All Tennessee state and federal courts