James A. Martone is a member with Dickinson Wright, where he has been an integral part of the firm’s commercial litigation group since 2013. James’ practice focuses on a broad range of commercial litigation services and he has been annually recognized for the quality of that practice as a Michigan Top Lawyer as well as a Michigan Super Lawyers “Rising Star.” James has successfully represented business and individuals alike in trade secret and IP and trade-secret litigation, cannabis litigation, business tort disputes, commercial and residential foreclosures, shareholder and closed corporate disputes, landlord/tenant matters, education law litigation, domestic and international arbitrations, commercial and residential construction disputes and municipal/governmental litigation. James routinely handles both trial and appellate matters, requiring him to appear in courts throughout the entire state of Michigan, at both the State and Federal level.
James also advises clients in the legal cannabis industry on complex litigation, transactional, and regulatory matters and provides outside general counsel services.
Before joining Dickinson Wright, James graduated summa cum laude from Wayne State University Law School and was a Dean’s Scholar and member of the Order of the Coif. While in law school,James participated in the school’s dual degree program by attending Wayne State University’s Business School. Additionally, James was an associate editor of the Wayne Law Review, earned numerous awards for his academic merit, and was selected for publication for his Note in the Wayne Law Review. During his second year of law school, James clerked for the United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan in the General Crimes Unit.
As an undergraduate at the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan, James studied public policy with a concentration in economic stimulus programs for urban revitalization. James was also a four-time varsity lettermen on the University’s Swim and Dive Team and earned All-Big Ten and All-American honors for his academic and athletic success. James was invited to compete in the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials and was named team Captain in 2009 where he led the University’s team to its 34th Big Ten Championship title.
University of MichiganB.A., Public Policy, 2009
- with honors
- NCAA Academic All-American
- Academic All-Big Ten
Wayne State University Law SchoolJ.D., 2013
- Summa Cum Laude
- Order of the Coif
- Gold Key Certificates 2010-2012
- Associate Editor of The Wayne Law Review
- Dean's Scholar
- Best Lawyers in America®
- "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation, 2021-2022
- Hon. Ralph M. Freeman Scholarship Award Recipient, 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Stars," Business Litigation, 2015-2022
- "Top Lawyer," Business Litigation, 2015-2021
- Corrigan Oil Company
- Federal-Mogul Corporation
- Nationstar Mortgage, LLC
- Ocwen Loan Servicing LLC
- Seterus, Inc.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Italian American Bar Association of Michigan
- Intern in the General Crimes Unit at the United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan (2012)
- Dickinson Wright PLLC, Summer Associate (2012)
- Captain of The University of Michigan Men’s Swim & Dive Team 2009
- Non-Judicial Commercial Foreclosures (Foreclosure by Advertisement), Thomson Reuters Practical Law (2020)
- Judicial Commercial Foreclosures (Foreclosure by Action), Thomson Reuters Practical Law (2020)
- Rethinking Eminent Domain in Michigan, 58 WAYNE L. REV. 537 (2013)