Jamie Halavais, a Member based in the firm’s Phoenix office, concentrates her practice on complex commercial litigation and class action defense. With over fifteen years in the courtroom, Jamie helps businesses and individuals resolve their most difficult problems. She has experience defending clients facing alleged class actions and other complex commercial litigation issues. She also handles insurance defense issues such as breach of contract and bad faith claims, as well as a wide variety of other disputes which arise in the course of business.
Jamie represents companies and independent directors in government and internal investigations to ensure compliance with policies and statutes. She has defended clients against allegations of managerial, officer, or board wrongdoing, including alleged violations of the Securities Act, the Sherman Antitrust Act, and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). Jamie has represented clients in various state and federal courts including in Arizona, California, Florida, Ohio, New York, Texas, Vermont, and Washington as well as before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the Office of Inspector General.
University at Buffalo School of LawJ.D.
- Buffalo Criminal Law Society, President
- Buffalo Law Review, Executive Editor
- Judge William J. Regan Award
University of California, IrvineB.A.
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
- Defended clients against alleged class action antitrust claims in multiple states, obtaining dismissals with prejudice at trial level which were affirmed by the Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Guided leading publicly traded internet company through investigations by Department of Justice (DOJ) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and class action and derivative litigation relating to backdating of stock option grants.
- Represented large investment advisors in relation to class action securities litigation and SEC investigations.
- Represented large commercial lender as plaintiff in multiple multi-million dollar commercial foreclosure actions.
- Represented high-net-worth individual and family businesses in action for ejectment and breach of contract.
- Served as first chair in arbitration to expunge Central Registration Depository record of former bank executive and judicial confirmation of same.
- Represented board of directors of large bank in internal investigation relating to shareholder demand letter.
- Provided pro bono support to Criminal Justice Act client, obtaining reduced sentence in argument before federal judge.
- Assisted unaccompanied minor asylum applicants in immigration proceedings before immigration court and US Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS)/Department of Homeland Security.
- SOUNDS Academy
- Board of Directors, 2023
- Phoenix Center for the Arts/Central Art Alliance
- Board of Directors, Treasurer, Vice Chair, Board Chair 2014-2022
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan