Darrell Windham is the managing member of the firm’s Austin office and has forty years of experience representing publicly traded and privately held clients, private equity funds and investors in complex M&A, capital markets and other domestic and global business transactions. Darrell has experience in a wide variety of industries, including life sciences, medical devices, technology, software and semi-conductors, entertainment and media, manufacturing and construction, and consumer products.
Darrell represents both strategic and private equity buyers and sellers in a variety of M&A transactions, including corporate reorganizations and recapitalizations, joint ventures, strategic alliances and auction transactions. Darrell represents issuers, underwriters, investors and private equity funds in capital raising transactions, such as initial and secondary public offerings, private placements of debt and equity securities and new fund formation.
Darrell has served as a director and executive officer of publicly held companies and private businesses and in leadership positions in many state, local and national charitable and non-profit organizations, including serving as President and Chairman of the Texas Exes and as the first President of the Contemporary Austin.
The University of Texas at AustinB.B.A., Accounting, 1975
The University of Texas School of LawJ.D., 1978
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 1999-present
- Listed, Chambers USA Guide, 2009-2010, 2012-2014
- Listed, "Texas' Top Rated Lawyers," 2012
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Texas Super Lawyers, 2009, 2016-present
- Rated, Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5, 25th Consecutive Year
Represented publicly held semiconductor manufacturer controlled by private equity firms in numerous domestic and international transactions involving acquisitions of, strategic alliances with, and investments in software and semi-conductor businesses and assets.
Represented a publicly held medical device company in which the client was acquired by Blackstone Capital Partners V, L.P. in a going private transaction. Total value of the transaction was almost $1 billion (including public debt and senior secured debt offerings of approximately $600 million), which represented the most ever paid for an Austin-based company at that time.
Represented a publicly held medical device company in connection with its initial public offering and a subsequent registered secondary public offering of common stock for both and in two often publicly registered stock offerings for the issuance of its securities to acquire two publicly held manufacturers of pain management, rehabilitation, fitness and sports performance products with aggregate purchase prices of approximately $500 million.
Represented a private energy company sponsor in the roll-up and reorganization of numerous entities and assets organized and acquired to drill, explore and produce natural gas and crude oil in the Permian Basin.
Represented Tony Lama Boot Company in connection with its acquisition by Justin Industries, Inc. in a public tender offer.
Represented a private equity fund of funds in connection with its evaluation of and investment in multiple private equity and hedge funds and certain direct investments.
Represented numerous early-stage technology companies from organization through multiple financing rounds and exit transactions.
- Former Director, Economic Development Corporation, Austin Chamber of Commerce
- Former Director, Texas TriCities Chapter, National Association of Corporate Directors
- Member, American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Securities Law and Venture Capital Committees of the Business Law Section
- Member, Travis County Bar Association, Business and Technology Law Section
- Life Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Past President and Chairman, Ex-Student’s Association of the University of Texas at Austin
- Past President and Chairman of Board of Trustees, The Contemporary Austin
- Former President of the Sun Bowl Association and Honored as Life-time Member of the Selection Committee
- Board Member, Central Texas Chapter of Texas Nature Conservancy
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Member, Commission of 125
- Member of the Littlefield Society
- Member/Board of Advisors, Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
- Board of Visitors, McDonald Observatory and Astronomy
- Member, Texas Press Board of Advisors
- Former Member, Men’s Athletics Council
- Former Director, Austin Longhorn Club
- Member and Board of Advisory Council, Longhorn Foundation
- University of Texas System
- Executive Committee, Chancellor’s Council
- Former Director, Friends of the University
- Former Director, Texas Business Hall of Fame
- Director, Austin Chapter of the College Football Hall of Fame Foundation
- Former Director - Venture Capital Committee of Texas, Gubernatorial Appointment
- Darrell is a frequent lecturer on topics related to M&A, public and private securities offerings and financing and other exit transactions, corporate governance and board duties issues, including these recent events/panels:
- Moderator, Cyber Security Panel Discussion, Austin Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel, February 20, 2018, Austin, TX
- Panelist/Speaker, "Early Stage Start-up Resources - Planning Exit Strategies," IBM: Smarter Planet Summit
- Panelist, "Startup to IPO: Building for Success"
- Moderator/Speaker, "Executive Compensation Panel," National Association of Corporate Directors
- Speaker, "From Startups to the IPO; Building for Success, Corporate Legal for the Startup Company," October 14, 2011, UT Austin, TX
- Featured, "Dealmakers Q&A: Greenberg Traurig’s Darrell Windham," Law360, July 25, 2014
- Co-Author, "Keys To IP Collaborations With Universities: Part 1-3," Law360, July 21, 2014, October 20, 2014, March 9, 2015