Colin T. Ferguson provides counsel to business entities and individuals in corporate, real estate and financing transactions. His clients range from startups to higher education institutions and publicly-traded companies. Colin regularly advises on:
- The acquisition, sale, leasing and development of retail, industrial, office, medical, multifamily residential and mixed-use real property, including pre- and post-license legalized cannabis industry properties and multi-purpose entertainment venues;
- Commercial loan transactions involving diverse collateral packages, especially those related to distressed assets and highly regulated industries such as plant-touching and non-plant-touching legalized cannabis assets;
- All phases of the loan workout process, including transaction resolutions and judicial and non-judicial enforcement actions;
- Entity governance documents, such as bylaws, operating agreements, shareholder agreements, and buy-sell agreements;
- Business and corporate planning, including business formation, corporate governance, and dissolution issues for all entity types;
- Mergers and acquisitions and joint venture relationships, especially in the healthcare and legalized cannabis industries;
- Sales and purchases of stock, membership interests, and partnership interests, especially for private equity and family office clients;
- Private offering issues, offering memorandums, required SEC filings, and compliance with blue sky laws; and
- Tennessee franchise and excise tax issues, including liability analysis and tax efficient transactional and organizational structuring.
Colin is a member of the Employer Advisory Board of FUTURO, Inc., (www.futuroisnow.com) a nonprofit organization that provides professional and leadership development services for Latino college students in Tennessee and Kentucky. He is also a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the National Association of Industrial and Office Professionals (NAIOP), and the Urban Land Institute (ULI).
Education & Credentials
University of GeorgiaB.B.A., 2010
- cum laude
Vanderbilt Law SchoolJ.D., 2013
- Dean's Scholar
- Best Lawyers in America®
- "Ones to Watch," Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Real Estate Law, 2021-2022
- Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- "Rising Stars," Real Estate Law, 2019-2021
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Colin is a member of the Employer Advisory Board of FUTURO, Inc., (www.futuroisnow.com) a nonprofit organization that provides professional and leadership development services for Latino college students in Tennessee and Kentucky.
- Co-Author, "Regulated Cannabis Collateral Creates Challenges in Compressed Industry,” Green Market Report, May 2023