Mr. Grimsley is not just a trial lawyer and appellate advocate, he is a problem solver.
From contract disputes and business divorces to intellectual property and antitrust investigations and claims, Mr. Grimsley has knowledge in a wide range of subject areas. He has defended and prosecuted civil suits involving breach of contract, trade secrets, Lanham Act, RICO, antitrust, breach of fiduciary duty, bad faith, WARN Act and other claims, including hundreds of class and multi-district litigations.
With 25 years of experience handling complex litigation matters in state and federal courts across the country as well as before a variety of arbitration organizations, Mr. Grimsley partners with his clients to achieve their goals through efficient and effective management of litigation matters.
Tulane University School of LawJ.D., 1991
- Order of the Coif
- summa cum laude
Washington and Lee UniversityB.A., 1986
- New York
- International Arbitration Attorney of the Year, Arizona, Corporate INTL (2015)
- AB Top Lawyers—Arizona Business Magazine, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2011)
- Represented multi-line insurer in first-party bad faith class action in state court arising from enforcement of anti-stacking provisions of underinsured and uninsured motorist coverages, resulting in settlement on terms favorable to client after successfully obtaining summary judgment against portions of a certified class, including class representatives.
- Represented multi-line insurer in first-party bad faith class action in federal court arising from enforcement of anti-stacking provisions of underinsured and uninsured motorist coverages, resulting in settlement on terms favorable to client after convincing Ninth Circuit to accept discretionary review of class certification order.
- Represented multi-line insurer in putative coverage class action concerning ability of insurer to reduce underinsured motorist payments by amount of workers’ compensation benefit received by insured, resulting in settlement on terms favorable to client after legal issue was determine by State Supreme Court.
- Defended major shareholders and director of payments technology company in fiduciary duty suit concerning loans and other internal transactions, resulting in pre-trial judgment in client’s favor and settlement under which clients’ fees were paid in full.
- Defended aerospace company in federal trade secret claim concerning client’s patented LIDAR sensor technology, resulting in dismissal of all claims challenging client’s title to its technology.
- Hired as lead counsel 30 days before trial by medical device company, obtained pre-trial dismissal of trade secret claim, settlement payment from one adverse party, and a jury verdict in client’s favor on remaining fraud claim and client’s counterclaims.
- Hired as lead counsel by Hong Kong-based trading company and Chinese factories 90 days before trial in suit against US distributors, implemented discovery plan leading to $12 million summary judgment ruling.
- Obtained dismissal of RICO and securities fraud class action against developer following criminal convictions of certain officers, affirmed in precedent-setting Third Circuit ruling.
- Successfully defended country’s largest self-move truck rental organization against multi-district antitrust class action alleging the company’s business model constituted illegal price fixing.
- Successfully represented leading guitar manufacturer in FTC investigation into alleged price fixing in the musical instruments industry, resulting in closing of investigation with no charges or consent decree against client.
- Successfully represented leading guitar manufacturer in multi-district antitrust class action following FTC investigation, obtaining dismissal of suit following limited discovery.
- As lead counsel for international exposition services company, successfully prosecuted suits in several states to enforce bonus claw-back triggered by violation of non-compete restrictions.
- Represented group of multi-line insurers in successfully defeating federal civil rights claims arising from participation in joint federal and state criminal investigations of insurance fraud claims.
- American Bar Association
- Arizona Bar Association
- Maricopa County Bar Association
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Rocky Mountain School for the Gifted and Creative, Boulder, CO (2009-2011)
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, District of Arizona
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- “The Company Deposition—The Critical Role of In-House Counsel,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter Newsletter, 2nd Quarter 2018
- “Arizona LLCs—Forget What You think You Know About Duties,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Arizona Chapter, February 2017
- “Drafting Enforceable Class Action Waivers,” CLE Webcast (Celesq Ed/West Legal Ed), November 2016