- Industry Alerts
The Government of Ontario announced on Monday the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective as of Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 PM. This closure will be in effect for 14 days with the possibility of extending the order as the situation evolves.
The mandatory closure includes any businesses that are for-profit, non-profit, or otherwise providing goods or services. Importantly, this does not preclude businesses to provide services either online, by telephone, or by mail/ delivery. All teleworking and online commerce are permitted at all times for any business.
Businesses that are permitted to remain open can be found on the Government of Ontario’s webpage. Nineteen specified categories have been deemed essential, each with their own sub-categories. Please read these categories carefully to see if your business is impacted by the closures. For a brief list of the essential businesses, see below.
The mandatory closures remain ongoing and are subject to change. If you are concerned that you or your business may be impacted, please contact Dickinson Wright LLP.
List of Essential Businesses
- Supply chains
- Retail and wholesaling
- Food services and accommodations
- Institutional, residential, commercial and industrial maintenance
- Telecommunications and IT infrastructure/ service providers
- Manufacturing and production
- Agriculture and food production
- Financial activities
- Environmental services
- Utilities and community services
- Communications industries
- Health care and seniors care and social services
- Justice sector
- Other businesses (miscellaneous, but including mail delivery services, professional services, security services, among others)
- Business regulators and inspectors
- August 19, 2020 Webinars Strategies for Easing Non-Essential Travel Restrictions at the Canada-US Border
- August 12 ,2020 Webinars How to Protect Your Intellectual Property on Social Media and E-Commerce Platforms
- August 10, 2020 Industry Alerts Atlantic Lottery Corporation Inc. v. Babstock: A Resounding Success at the Supreme Court of Canada for Dickinson Wright LLP
- August 07, 2020 Industry Alerts Educators Still Required to Comply With New Title IX Regulations by August 14, 2020
- August 6, 2020 Media Mentions John Krieger Quoted in IP Law News Article on Copyright Infringement
- August 06, 2020 Media Mentions Jennifer Ko Craft Interviewed by Variety on Johnny Depp Trial
- August 06, 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response: Final Deadline Extension Ends August 21, 2020*
- August 05, 2020 Industry Alerts Gaming and Hospitality Legal News, Volume 12, Number 13: Canadian Gaming Association’s Standards for Cashless Wagering
- August 04, 2020 Industry Alerts Implications of Uber Technologies Inc. v. Heller