- Industry Alerts
The Government of Ontario announced on Monday the mandatory closure of all non-essential workplaces effective as of Tuesday, March 24th at 11:59 PM. This closure will be in effect for 14 days with the possibility of extending the order as the situation evolves.
The mandatory closure includes any businesses that are for-profit, non-profit, or otherwise providing goods or services. Importantly, this does not preclude businesses to provide services either online, by telephone, or by mail/ delivery. All teleworking and online commerce are permitted at all times for any business.
Businesses that are permitted to remain open can be found on the Government of Ontario’s webpage. Nineteen specified categories have been deemed essential, each with their own sub-categories. Please read these categories carefully to see if your business is impacted by the closures. For a brief list of the essential businesses, see below.
The mandatory closures remain ongoing and are subject to change. If you are concerned that you or your business may be impacted, please contact Dickinson Wright LLP.
List of Essential Businesses
- Supply chains
- Retail and wholesaling
- Food services and accommodations
- Institutional, residential, commercial and industrial maintenance
- Telecommunications and IT infrastructure/ service providers
- Manufacturing and production
- Agriculture and food production
- Financial activities
- Environmental services
- Utilities and community services
- Communications industries
- Health care and seniors care and social services
- Justice sector
- Other businesses (miscellaneous, but including mail delivery services, professional services, security services, among others)
- Business regulators and inspectors
- March 14, 2020 Industry Alerts Dickinson Wright U.S. - (COVID-19) Office Update
- March 14, 2020 Dickinson Wright Canada - (COVID-19) Office Update
- March 16, 2020 In the News Dickinson Wright Closing All 18 Physical Locations
- April 9, 2020 Webinars Business Interruption Insurance, Captives, and Coronavirus Webinar
- April 7, 2020 In the News Attorney Robert B. Weiss Joins Dickinson Wright’s Troy Office as Of Counsel
- April 7, 2020 In the News Christopher Ryan Joins Dickinson Wright’s Ann Arbor Office
- April 2020 Industry Alerts Province Releases Updated List of “Essential” Workplaces, Directing Additional Closures and Restrictions During COVID-19 State of Emergency
- April 2020 Industry Alerts CIPO Pandemic Response and Canada’s New Compulsory Patent Licensing Provisions
- April 6, 2020 In the News Thirteen Dickinson Wright Attorneys Named 2020 Southwest Super Lawyers, Four Named Rising Stars