- Industry Alerts
Click “Subscribe Now” to get attorney insights on the latest developments in a range of services and industries.
Ohio’s new biennial budget, signed into law by Governor DeWine on June 30, brings good news for the redevelopment of brownfields and other distressed properties in Ohio. Ohio Revised Code (“R.C.”) section 122.6511 institutes a new “Brownfield Remediation Program” that will provide grants for site remediation throughout Ohio, funded by a full $350 million appropriation. This is accompanied by a new “Building Demolition and Site Revitalization Program” established under R.C. 122.6512 that will award grants for the demolition of commercial and residential buildings and revitalize surrounding properties on sites that do not qualify as brownfields, supported by a $150 million appropriation. Both programs will be overseen by the state Department of Development.
These funding mechanisms are a key next step building on Ohio’s 2020 incorporation of the federal Bona Fide Prospective Purchaser defense to hazardous substance liability into state law, as covered in a prior update by Dickinson Wright. The Department of Development will be promulgating rules to ensure the program is operational within 90 days of the bill's effective date, and Dickinson Wright will continue to monitor further steps toward addressing Ohio’s inventory of distressed properties.
- Industry Alerts Ohio Enacts Sweeping Energy Legislation: HB 6 Bails Out Nuclear, Coal; Rolls Back Renewables and Energy Efficiency
- Industry Alerts Ohio Legislature Adopts New Wind and Solar Siting Law S.B. 52 Requires County Commission Approval
- Industry Alerts Ohio Governor Signs “Alternate Employer Organization” Legislation
- June 08, 2022 Industry Alerts Ohio Ethics Commission Issues Advisory Opinion Allowing Voluntary Contributions from Solar Developer to Local Government
- March 11, 2022 In the News Kevin Desharnais Quoted in Bloomberg Law on Impact of Climate Events on Western U.S. Water Supply
- November 08, 2021 Industry Alerts 2021 Revision of the ASTM Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Standard Approved
- September 10, 2021 In the News Environmental Lawyer AnnMarie Sanford Joins Dickinson Wright Troy Office
- July 06, 2021 Industry Alerts Illinois EPA Proposes Groundwater Standards for 5 PFAS Compounds
- June 01, 2021 Industry Alerts Final Minimum Risk Levels for PFAS: What Do They Mean?