- Speaking Engagements
The Parliament of Canada, Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block , Ottawa, Ontario
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
from 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
at: The Parliament of Canada
Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block
Ottawa, ON Canada
Brenda Swick (Partner, Toronto) has been invited to be a panelist at the Senate Open Caucus on the benefits and challenges related to the modernization of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The Open Caucus was first established in 2014 when Senate Liberals opened their Caucus doors to the public on Wednesday mornings. Now, the Independent Senators Group (ISG) and the Independent Senate Liberals are co-sponsoring discussions on issues of national importance. This non-partisan collaboration brings together two groups representing the majority of the Senate’s current membership. We also open our doors to all Parliamentarians, members of the public, and the media.
This particular meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 18th, from 9:15 a.m. -11:15 a.m. in Room 160-S, Centre Block. NAFTA created a highly integrated system amongst the three member states with many economic benefits.
There is a need for a readjustment of the NAFTA which addresses major shifts in the global climate. With the current negotiations underway it is important that Canadians are informed of the challenges and rewards that will come with a modernized agreement. This new agreement will have to address a wide range of sectors and issues, such as: supply management, investment, intellectual property, telecommunications, e-commerce, the environment, freedom of movement, energy, rules of origin, and dispute resolution and much more. Considering the complexities involved in renegotiating this expansive trade agreement we ask the question: how will a modernized NAFTA impact Canadians and Canada’s relationship with our North American partners?
- March 07, 2019 Webinars The Anatomy of the Label and Package for Retail Food Products – A Legal Minefield
- February 24 - 27, 2019 Conferences International Franchise Business Roundtables - International Franchise Association 2019 Convention
- February 21, 2019 Media Mentions Kate Lowenhar-Fisher Quoted in Fantini's Public Policy Review Abou the Wire Act
- February 20, 2019 Media Mentions Mahesh Nayak Interviewed for Michigan Lawyers Weekly's "A Sidebar With" Feature
- February 2019 Industry Alerts USCIS Publishes Final Rule on H-1B Registration and Scheme for a More Effective H-1B Program
- February 19, 2019 In the News Intellectual Property Attorney Laura Moskowitz Joins Dickinson Wright's Washington, D.C. Office
- February 19, 2019 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Lawyers Recognized in Chambers Global Guide 2019
- February 2019 Industry Alerts The IRS and the FICA, FUTA and Federal Income Tax Traps for Employers with Non-Resident Alien Employees
- February 18, 2019 In the News Monica Labe and Katheryne Zelenock Named to Crain's Detroit Business "Notable Women in Real Estate"