- Speaking Engagements
The Parliament of Canada, Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block , Ottawa, Ontario
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
from 9:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
at: The Parliament of Canada
Parliament Hill - Room 160-S, Centre Block
Ottawa, ON Canada
Brenda Swick (Partner, Toronto) has been invited to be a panelist at the Senate Open Caucus on the benefits and challenges related to the modernization of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
The Open Caucus was first established in 2014 when Senate Liberals opened their Caucus doors to the public on Wednesday mornings. Now, the Independent Senators Group (ISG) and the Independent Senate Liberals are co-sponsoring discussions on issues of national importance. This non-partisan collaboration brings together two groups representing the majority of the Senate’s current membership. We also open our doors to all Parliamentarians, members of the public, and the media.
This particular meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 18th, from 9:15 a.m. -11:15 a.m. in Room 160-S, Centre Block. NAFTA created a highly integrated system amongst the three member states with many economic benefits.
There is a need for a readjustment of the NAFTA which addresses major shifts in the global climate. With the current negotiations underway it is important that Canadians are informed of the challenges and rewards that will come with a modernized agreement. This new agreement will have to address a wide range of sectors and issues, such as: supply management, investment, intellectual property, telecommunications, e-commerce, the environment, freedom of movement, energy, rules of origin, and dispute resolution and much more. Considering the complexities involved in renegotiating this expansive trade agreement we ask the question: how will a modernized NAFTA impact Canadians and Canada’s relationship with our North American partners?
- July 20, 2018 In the News Two Dickinson Wright Attorneys Recognized in Northern California Super Lawyers
- July 20, 2018 In the News Lisa D. Duran Named a 2018 Most Influential Woman in Arizona Business
- July 18, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Alan Litwack Quoted in the Marijuana Business Daily Article “Cannabis Boom or Bust: How US Firms Could be Affected by Canada’s Adult-Use Market”
- July 17, 2018 In the News Attorney Blair Gould Joins Dickinson Wright's Troy Office
- July 16, 2018 Media Mentions Lawyer Kate Lowenhar-Fisher Featured in Video Relating to the Recent Legalization of Sports Betting
- July 15- 16, 2018 Special Events Sparky Anderson CATCH Charity Golf Prelude Party and Golf Classic
- July 2018 Industry Alerts California’s Data Privacy Law: What It Is and How to Comply (A Step-By-Step Guide)
- July 2018 Industry Alerts New Section 301 Tariffs Proposed for $200 Billion of Chinese Goods
- July 12, 2018 In the News Attorney Rock Wood Joins Dickinson Wright's Grand Rapids Office