Miami UniversityB.A., Government, 1997
University of Notre Dame Law SchoolJ.D., 2001
- Recipient of Dean's Award in Legislation
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2020
- Listed in Ohio Super Lawyers, 2016
- Listed in Who's Who in Energy, 2014-2015
- Business First Forty Under 40 Award, Class of 2012
Terrence O'Donnell leads Dickinson Wright’s firmwide government relations team. His focus is public policy advocacy at the Ohio statehouse and regulatory compliance. Terrence represents dozens of companies, trade groups, and nonprofits before the State General Assembly and state executive agencies. He also collaborates with lawyers in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office to lobby Ohio’s congressional delegation. Terrence brings eighteen years of experience to his government relations and administrative law practice.
He represents all manner of interests, including the renewable energy industry, a major national brewer with an Ohio manufacturing facility, the state’s largest self-insured professional employment organization (“PEO”), and education and workforce development providers. He also represents the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority and the Ohio Aerospace Institute. Terrence has significant experience leading and working in large stakeholder coalitions, where he brings a substantive focus to complex public policy challenges. He also has significant election law experience (including ballot issues).
Terrence advocated for Ohio's landmark Renewable Portfolio Standard, requiring the state's investor-owned utility companies to utilize clean energy sources such as wind, solar, biomass, and energy efficiency for a portion of their generation. He also represents individual energy companies on permitting and other regulatory matters, as well as on transactions with Ohio utility companies. Terrence also represents the innovative Cleveland-based non-profit entity LEEDCo., which is pursuing a pilot project to site wind turbines offshore in the fresh waters of Lake Erie.
He is also assisting a consortium of Foundations as they collaborate on clean water policy.
Terrence maintains strong political relationships across both sides of the aisle.
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Chair Emeritus, Columbus Bar Association Committee on Character & Fitness
- Member, Ohio Lobbying Association
- Board Member, Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Commissioner, German Village Commission for Historic Preservation
- Member, St. Thomas More Society, Notre Dame Law School
- Member, St. Ignatius Alumni Association (Cleveland)