Terrence O'Donnell leads Dickinson Wright’s firmwide government relations team. His focus is public policy advocacy at the Ohio statehouse, administrative law, and regulatory compliance. Terrence represents dozens of companies, trade groups, and nonprofits before the State General Assembly and executive agencies. He also collaborates with lawyers in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office to lobby the United States Congress. Terrence brings eighteen years of experience to his practice.
He represents all manner of interests, including the renewable energy industry, a major national brewer with an Ohio manufacturing facility, regulated cannabis companies, the state’s largest self-insured professional employment organization (“PEO”), and education and workforce development providers. He represents a number of Cleveland-area clients, including the Regional Transit Authority, the Ohio Aerospace Institute, and the region's Lake Erie offshore wind developer, LEEDCo. Terrence has significant experience leading and working in large stakeholder coalitions, where he brings a substantive focus to complex public policy challenges. He also has election law experience (including ballot issues).
Terrence advocated for Ohio's landmark Renewable Portfolio Standard, requiring the state's investor-owned utility companies to utilize clean energy sources such as wind, solar, biomass, and energy efficiency for a portion of their generation. He collaborates with colleagues to assist energy companies on permitting and other regulatory matters at the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, as well as commercial transactions. He recently began working with a consortium of Foundations as they collaborate on clean water policy.
Terrence maintains strong political relationships across both sides of the aisle.
Miami UniversityB.A., Government, 1997
University of Notre Dame Law SchoolJ.D., 2001
- Recipient of Dean's Award in Legislation
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Energy Law, 2020-2021
- Ohio Super Lawyers®
- Legislative & Governmental Affairs, 2005, 2013, 2016
- Who's Who in Energy, 2014-2015
- Business First
- "40 Under 40," 2012
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Chair Emeritus, Columbus Bar Association Committee on Character & Fitness
- Member, Ohio Lobbying Association
- Board Member, Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer Legacy Committee (Ohio State Bar Association)
- Board Member, Keep Ohio Beautiful
- Commissioner, German Village Commission for Historic Preservation
- Member, St. Thomas More Society, Notre Dame Law School
- Member, St. Ignatius Alumni Association (Cleveland)
- Co-Presenter, Political and Policy Advocacy with 501(c)(4) Organizations in Ohio, Dickinson Wright Webinar, September 2020